There are any number of ukulele MeetUps for those who want to meet in the evening or on weekends.
Question: What about those who would like to meet on a...gasp!...weekday afternoon?
Answer: Uke In The Afternoon!
* We meet from 1:00 to 3:00 pm on the 1-st and 3-rd Wednesdays of the month. (Free plug: alternating with Strummerville, which meets on the second and fourth Wednesday evenings of the month.) Doors open at 12:45 so that we can start playing at 1 p.m.
* All skill levels welcome. Most participants arrive with at least a few months experience, but we have had beginners join in (who soon find they have been playing for at least a few months!). We also have some participants who have played for years.
* In order to maintain a balanced sound, the jam is for 4 string acoustic, wood ukuleles only. All sizes of ukuleles (soprano, concert, tenor, baritone) are welcome.
* We play from a set book that can be found at
In addition, anyone is welcome to bring 12-16 copies of a song for the group to play together.
* We usually meet in the Community Room in the basement of the Robbins Library in Arlington, just off the intersection of Route 60 and Mass Ave.
* -- There is metered parking at the library and on Mass Ave. The rate is $1/hour for up to 4 hours.
-- The town's metered lots (across Mass Ave from the Library and another behind Wood & Strings, roughly kitty corner from the Library) charge $0.50/hour with no time limit.
* The format follows Strummerville's:
-- play as a group for 50 minutes or so
-- 10-15 minute break
-- open mic: for anyone who wishes to perform a song for the group
-- play as a group until closing
* If there is one thing that distinguishes Uke In The Afternoon from other MeetUps it is that we don't just choose a song play it and then choose another song. If the group finds merit in playing a song again--either to iron out speed bumps or gain better mastery over it--we'll play it again. I think our record so far is two songs played 3 times and a third song played twice!