We are thrilled to have Ted Dunning (https://www.linkedin.com/in/teddunning) come and back and present to the group about what is new in the Apache Mahout (https://mahout.apache.org/) scalable machine learning library. If you don't know Ted he has been instrumental in getting this meetup off the ground and has presented to us in the past. He is a fantastic, knowledgeable and engaging presenter. I learn something new about how to use big data technologies every time I hear Ted speak.
Note that we are also excited to work with the Denver R Users group (http://www.meetup.com/DenverRUG/) on this meetup. The meetup is a bit far north for them so if you talk with anyone from that group try to encourage them to come. They are an impressive group and there are great new conversations that happen when the groups get together.
Also note that we've gotten feedback that finding right place at CU can be a challenge. Atlas should be much easier. Here is a map that will hopefully make it even easier:
• 6:00 – 6:30 - Socialize over food and drink
• 6:30 – 6:45 - Announcements, Upcoming Events
• 6:45 – 8:00 - What's new in Mahout - Ted Dunning
• 8:00 - 8:30 - Mahout Use Case: Creating a Personalized Home Energy Report at Tendril - Joe McTee
• 8:30 – ??? - Continued socializing
About the presentation
This is where you can help shape the presentation. Ted has a ton of knowledge on Mahout. Right now he is shaping his presentation. If you have something you'd like to see just add a comment. Areas that look like they will be discussed as of now are:
• Innovations to recommendations - Best practices, how to extract the riht data, and the innovative use of search technology to deploy a mahout recommender, with some deeper technical advice about multi-modal and cross recommendation.
• Anomaly Detection and more - Some new work in anomaly detection, t-digest and a little touch of deep-learing.
• Big new for Mahout - I think this is interesting. There are big changes in Apache Mahout taking place. Differences i classification and overall speed; also a move to build access to deep learning and R.
About the presenters
Ted Dunning - Chief Application Architect - MapR: Ted Dunning has been involved with a number of startups with the latest being MapR Technologies where he is Chief Application Architect working on advanced Hadoop-related technologies. He is also a PMC member for the Apache Zookeeper and Mahout projects. Opinionated about software and data-mining and passionate about open source, he is an active participant of Hadoop and related communities and loves helping projects get going with new technologies.
Joe McTee - Principal Engineer - Tendril: In his 5 years at Tendril, he has worked on load control algorithms, smart outlets, smart thermostats, Home Energy Reports, and server side programming for our customer engagement portal. He is passionate about energy conservation. Ask him about solar energy if you have an hour! In his spare time, Joe enjoys being a grandpa and "Doing A Science" with his granddaughter.
A Tendril is a leading provider of Energy Services Management (ESM) solutions. With 5 million households using our products, we partner with consumers, utilities, and consumer product manufacturers to facilitate household energy and cost savings with minimal impact to consumer lifestyles.