The California Backpacking Club is a small and private group of friends and is one of the most active adventure social organizations based out of the San Francisco Bay Area.
What makes CBC's events different from other Meetup groups?
• CBC is the first social based backpacking Meetup that requires Leadership Council and Hike Leaders carry at least a Wilderness First Aid certification.
• We won't leave you hanging with hidden fees or other important details.
• You will have peace of mind when deciding on joining a trip or not. Everything is clearly spelled out including trail description, gear and experience requirements, what is included, excluded and if not included what you should expect to prepare for.
• We carefully plan out and consider every possible scenario before posting so there are no "surprises" after you RSVP
• Most of our events are all-inclusive. These events always include all the permit costs, first night lodging or car camping campground reservations and when required, speciality gear rental, trailhead shuttle and food drops.
The events offered by CBC are designed and carefully managed by and for only the most discerning adventure trekkers who demand unique, well planned and executed events in exchange for their responsible and frequent participation and contribution to the club and it's events. We welcome all those wanting to adventure trek regardless of nationality, race or sexual orientation to apply.
California Backpacking Club ("CBC”) is not a company, but a co-op of friends who share the same passion of adventure trekking together. We do not certify the qualifications of the organizers or any of our members who lead or participate in these events. We may, however, solicit the services of professionals on many of our events.
Some trips will be more physically demanding than others. Only you (the “Participant”) know how much you can handle, so make sure you have read the complete trip description and are fully aware of the the physical requirements before you sign up, or you might be putting yourself and others into a dangerous situation. Should you have questions about the physical requirements of the trip, please contact the event organizer. By signing up and participating in any events posted by this group, you represent that you are qualified, in good health and in proper physical condition to participate in the event. If you are at all unsure of your physical abilities for an event, you agree to not participate. Periodically, we may ask for a full disclosure in advance of attending a trip if you suffer from any medical condition, physical disability or are currently suffering from any physical ailment or injury resulting in limitations of the feet, toes, back, spine, hips, knees, shoulders, neck, joints etc., that may hinder your ability to complete a trip on your own power or may become inflamed or easily re-injured during the normal and anticipated physical "wear and tear" conducive to and as described in the trip description.
ACCEPTANCE OF RISK
As a Participant in any organized meetup, program, or activity associated with CBC (“Meetup”) posted on this website, you, the Participant, acknowledge that the nature of the event is adventurous and may involve a significant amount of personal risk. You hereby assume all such risk and do hereby release the group, its members, and any of it's organizers from all claims and causes of action arising from any damages, financial loss or injuries or death resulting from these inherent dangers.
The novel Coronavirus (“COVID-19”) has been declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization. COVID-19 is highly contagious, has a high mortality rate when compared to other respiratory illnesses, and is believed to spread primarily from person-to-person contact. As a result, federal, state, and local governments, as well as, federal and state health agencies strongly recommend social distancing and have, in many locations, especially in California and the North Bay counties, prohibited the congregation of groups of persons. Many businesses have implemented preventative measures to seek the reduction of the spread of COVID-19; however, no government nor business can guarantee that you will not become infected with COVID-19. Further, attending any Meetup could increase your risk of contracting COVID-19.
COVID-19 ACCEPTANCE OF RISK
By attending any Meetup, you acknowledge the contagious nature of COVID-19 and voluntarily assume the risk that you may be exposed to or infected by COVID-19 while attending the Meetup and you acknowledge and assume the responsibility that such exposure or infection by COVID-19 may result in illness, permanent disability, personal injury, and death. You understand that the risk of becoming exposed to or infected by COVID-19 at any Meetup may result from the actions, omissions, or negligence of yourself and others, including, but not limited to, the organizers, members, volunteers, and program participants of such Meetup. You voluntarily agree to assume all of the foregoing risks and accept sole responsibility for any injury to yourself (including, but not limited to, personal injury, disability, and death), illness, damage, loss, claim, liability, or expense, of any kind, that you may experience or incur in connection with your attendance at any Meetup. Therefore, by attending any Meetup, you hereby release, covenant not to sue, discharge, and hold harmless the CBC, its organizers, members, volunteers, and program participants, of and from all liabilities, claims, actions, damages, costs or expenses of any kind arising out of or relating thereto. You understand and agree that this release includes any claims based on the actions, omissions, or negligence of the organizers, members, volunteers, and program participants, whether a COVID-19 infection occurs before, during, or after attending any Meetup.
Additionally, to protect others, you attest that:
- You have not been diagnosed with COVID-19.
- You are not experiencing any symptom of COVID-19 illness, such as cough, fever, chills, shortness of breath, muscle pain, sore throat, headache, or a loss of smell or taste.
- To the best of your knowledge, you have not been exposed to or been in contact with someone afflicted with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19.
- You have not traveled internationally or to a highly impacted area within the United States within the last 14 days.
- You shall follow any and all governmental Orders, laws, ordinances, and guidelines pertaining directly to the prevention of the spread of COVID-19, as well as any and all individual COVID-19-related preventative practices set by any Meetup.