What we're about

For the moment, physical CamPUG meetings are suspended due to COVID-19.

Watch individual meeting announcements for virtual meetings.

--------------------------------------------

We get together once a month to talk about anything related to the Python programming language (https://www.python.org/).

Anyone who is interested in Python is welcome, whatever your level of knowledge (we're very happy to help with questions from those just learning the language), and for whatever purpose you use it.

We normally meet on the first Tuesday of each month at 19:00 (7pm). The meeting page is updated with the URL for the video meeting at about 18:00 (6pm).

We have a Twitter account: @campython (https://twitter.com/campython).

We have a Slack workspace (https://join.slack.com/t/campug/shared_invite/enQtMzM2NjcwMzM2ODM2LTQyMmQ5MmVlZGMxMzBhOGQ0MTQ1ZGMyMTkzYjc1MWQzM2M2ZDViZDc5NDEyYmViY2QyNWJlMjg2ZTkwNzc3NjM) anyone can join. If that link doesn't work for you, please contact one of the organisers (currently just Tibs) and ask for access.

We have a code of conduct (https://github.com/campug/organisational/blob/master/CodeOfConduct.rst), which describes what is or is not acceptable behaviour of members (basically, be kind and considerate of others).

If you're trying to learn Python, or want to find out more, then we have a Learning Resources (https://github.com/campug/learning-resources) page. Please feel free to suggest changes to that, as it is intended to be something we try to keep up-to-date.

Upcoming events (1)

Two talks: Organising physical paper; Innovation in the newsroom

This is the seventh meeting of 2021, the July monthly meeting. And it's another virtual meeting, starting at 19:00 (7pm). Also, we're back to Tuesday, as normal.

We've got two speakers this month.

Alex Chan will speak on "Using Python to organise my physical paper":

We all have those boxes full of mystery paper – not really organised, and nobody’s sure what’s in there. A few years ago, I decided to digitise those boxes and bin the paper, but how to organise the digital files? I wrote a custom Python app to keep the files neat and tidy.

In this session, I’ll show off my app, and share some of what I learned, including:

* How do you get a thumbnail for a file?
* How do you get an ASCII version of a filename?
* What’s the best way to manipulate URL query parameters

Ben Nuttall will speak on "Innovation in the newsroom":

In BBC News Labs, we're always looking for ways to innovate without requiring production teams to change their workflows. We investigated ways we could enrich our digital output by extracting detailed information about the contents of our TV and radio programmes from their running orders.

This talk aims to share the detail of our innovation projects investigating
personalisation, automatic chapterisation and live notifications, and showcases our Python library and AWS pipeline.

---------

As normal, I shall put the meeting URL up on this page at about 18:00 (6pm) on the day, and also email it to everyone who has RSVPed "yes". I shall start paying attention at about 18:45 (6:45pm), and the meeting itself won't start until 19:00 (7pm), with the normal introductory comments.

You should find that you start with both your sound and video off. As always, feel free not to share video if you prefer not to.

There's no fixed time for stopping - we'll see how it goes.

Note that Jitsi says that it really only works with the Chrome browser - apparently there are still problems with Firefox and Safari.

Remember that everything we do must follow our code of conduct - see https://github.com/campug/organisational/blob/master/CodeOfConduct.rst Basically, be considerate to each other.

And lastly, feel free to join our slack group (https://join.slack.com/t/campug/shared_invite/enQtMzM2NjcwMzM2ODM2LTQyMmQ5MmVlZGMxMzBhOGQ0MTQ1ZGMyMTkzYjc1MWQzM2M2ZDViZDc5NDEyYmViY2QyNWJlMjg2ZTkwNzc3NjM) for general discussion before and after the meeting.

Past events (72)

Blockchain for Python Developers

Online event

Photos (8)