What we’re about
(Le français suit)
I created this group to meet other cyclists and cycling advocates. Cross-postings from other groups are welcomed. Cycling advocacy events such as public pannels, AGMs, city advisory committees are also welcomed.
Donations of minimum 5$/year to help cover the meetup.com fees are appreciated. See https://www.meetup.com/fr-FR/Cycling-Ottawa-en-Velo/messages/boards/thread/49718654 for details. <br>
If applicable, please describe in your event what calibre of cyclists should be expected. The following calibres are suggested:
Leasure: 15 to 18 km/h, mostly to recreational pathways
Commuting: 18 to 24: You are comfortable in cycling on the road and can cycle for 2-3 hours
Touring: 24 to 30 km/h, you are comfortable in cycling on the road and have cycled for entire days.
Sporting: 25 km/h +: You have a road bike and have trained competitively.
J'ai créé ce groupe pour rencontrer des cycliste et autres promoteurs du vélo.
Les événements provenant de d'autres groupes meetup sont la bienvenue. Les événements tels que les AGAs, débats publics, les comités consultatifs de la ville sont aussi la bienvenue.
S'il y lieu, veuillez décrire quel est le calibre attendu des cyclistes. Les calibres suivants sont proposés:
Loisir: 15 à 18 km/h, l'événement se tient surtout sur des sentiers de la piste cyclable.
Journalier: Vous êtes confortable sur la route et vous pouvez faire du vélo pour 2-3 heures.
Tourisme: 24 à 30 km/h, vous êtes confortable sur la route et vous avez fait du vélo pour des journées entières.
Sportif: 25 km/h et plus: vous avez un vélo de route et vous avez fait de l’entraînement compétitif.
Upcoming events (4)See all
- Outdoor skating with Kimmy at Jim Tubman RinkJim Tubman Chevrolet Sens Rink, Ottawa, ON
Skating with Kimmy on the large outdoor lighted rink that is maintained by a Zamboni and protected by the elements with a roof. Plenty of parking & it is free. I will be standing by the entrance door to the rink to greet you.
- CN Cycle for CHEOCanadian War Museum , Ottawa, ON
Please join us for the CN Cycle for CHEO on Sunday May 5th. We could start out together in the morning, and then have lunch together after the ride.
• The early bird cost before
– April 15 is $50, and $60 after April 15
.YOU MUST PRE REGISTER FOR THIS EVENT.
NEW this year is a 100km ride. The 100 km ride is FREE with Early Registration by April 15th then the regular price.
• All types of bikes are welcome: mountain bikes, hybrids, road bikes, trikes, recumbents, etc.
• All fitness levels are welcome. Don't worry about not being in shape. At that time of the year, few people are in shape.
• There are four cycling routes (100km, 70km, 35km, and 15km) and two walking routes. They each have their own start times.
• Dogs are welcome. But read the FAQ below.
• Please plan to arrive at least half an hour before start time, in order to park.
• Start location and end location is at the War Museum (https://goo.gl/maps/iygjxDqy1RS2) in Lebreton Flats.
• If you're worried about finding a parking spot in Lebreton Flats, you could park in one of the Tunney's Pasture parking lots (at Parkdale, between Scott and Goldenrod (https://google/maps/8ZQ3TDa1DTu)) and then cycle to the War Museum.
• Roads will be closed to traffic. This will be a great opportunity to cycle through Ottawa without having to worry about traffic.
• Refreshments and snacks are usually served along the route, so you won't need to worry about carrying too much water and food.
• A BBQ lunch will be served after the race.
• Please feel free to invite as many guests/friends as you like.
• If you want to raise more funds for the charity, click here (http://cncycle.ca/en/participant-info/fundraising-toolkit/).
I would advise everyone to read the CN Cycle for CHEO FAQ https://www.cncycle.ca/the-event/registration/ Please note that I will participate if the weather conditions are not raining on race day. I am doing the 70km ride.
If you are facing the War Museum from the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway (a.k.a. Ottawa River Parkway), you will see a "Canadian War Museum/Musee Canadien De La Guerre" sign just west of the main entrance (see the picture below, where the two soldiers are standing). Let's meet under that sign at 8am. YOU MUST REGISTER ONLINE THIS YEAR. The 100km starts at 730 , 70km race starts at 8:30am; the 35km race starts at 9am.
For those who have never met me and need to recognize me before or after the race: I ride a black/red Giant road bike; I will be wearing our Meetup cycling Jersey and shorts.