What we're about
Upcoming events (1)
Details and registration forms for the Dallas Sierra Club’s annual outing at Big Bend National Park are now online. This outing is for backpacking and hiking in one of three trip options of moderate to strenuous difficulty. Participants will camp in tents and prepare their own meals. Drive or ride to our group camp in the park on Wednesday, February 9. Backpack or hike Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Head for home Sunday morning, February 13.
Go to www.dallassierraclub.org/eventfiles/files/Big-Bend-2022-trip-with-forms.pdf to see outing details and registration requirements. This outing requires advance registration, including a fee, and is limited to 25 hikers and backpackers, divided among three trip itineraries. Not all registrants will appear on the Meetup page.
I am looking for people to participate in group discussion courses by the Northwest Earth Institute. Each group will have 4-10 people and meet once a week for 4 to 7 weeks. The format of these groups is like a book club -- everyone reads that week's chapter (about 1 hour of advance reading each week) and comes prepared to discuss it. Group members take turns facilitating the discussion using questions provided in the reading materials.
Here is what you need to do:
1. Read the course descriptions at http://www.nwei.org/discussion_courses.
2. Let me know which course(s) you are interested in. I have taken several other courses, and all were excellent. I am interested in the following courses:
• A World Of Health
• Hungry For Change
• Discovering A Sense Of Place
• Menu for the Future
3. We will have a meeting (in person at an agreed upon place, or via a conference call) to determine which course to take, and where and when to meet. We can meet in a person's home, at a church, at a restaurant that has a quiet corner where people can hear each other, libraries, or other public buildings that have conference rooms.
4. We will collect money for the course books and order the books from the Northwest Earth Institute -- www.nwei.org. Most course books cost $25. The course book is the only cost of taking a course.
5. Then we will distribute the books and have our course meetings.
Please contact me if you are interested. Kirk Miller, phone[masked] e-mail [masked]