Location visible to members
We're looking to increase our contributions to the social sector here in Singapore, and will be having a monthly meeting for volunteers who want to do more. These will be working sessions which can include:
• DataJams where data is cleaned and prepped for further analysis,
• Clinics for social sector organisations to drop in and ask data-related questions, and
• Planning sessions for wider community events.
Important to note
• Unlike a normal meetup, if you sign up but don't show, you will be depriving our non-profit partners of other volunteers who can be there to help them. Please be considerate when you sign up, thank you.
• Please understand that no food will be provided, so do make preparations to grab a bite before you turn up. Also, it would be great if you bring your own water bottle along with your laptop and power cable too.
Overview of Project Teams
• Raffles' Banded Langur Working Group (https://www.facebook.com/RBLWG/) - Task: Facial recognition for individual monkeys, geo-location mapping. Skills required: no preferred programming language at the moment; skills needed for Machine Learning, Machine Vision, Geographic Information Systems
• IUU (Illegal, Unreported, Unregulated) Fishing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal,_unreported_and_unregulated_fishing) - Task: reproduce code for fishing scoring heuristics and evaluation effectiveness. Skills required: preferred programming language Python
• Community Justice Center (http://www.cjc.org.sg/) and Law Society Pro Bono Services (http://probono.lawsociety.org.sg/Pages/default.aspx) - Task: Data cleaning and text analysis. Skills required: preferred programming language Python; skills needed for text analysis and Natural Language Processing
• HelpAge (http://www.helpage.org/) - Task: data cleaning and exploration, build data pipeline for reporting/dashboard. Skills required: Tableau • National Volunteer & Philanthropy Centre (NVPC) (https://www.nvpc.org.sg/) - Task: to review code submitted during our August DataDive for reproducibility. Skills required: R, Docker
6.45 - 7pm: Registration
7 - 7.30pm: Data review and task assignment
7.30 - 9.30pm: Data cleaning