What we're about
Upcoming events (1)
The Oxford Dictionary defines gender as,
“Either of the two sexes (male and female), especially when considered with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones. The term is also used more broadly to denote a range of identities that do not correspond to established ideas of male and female”.
What qualities make someone male or female? How should that be determined? The quandary of participation in sport is one area where this is now being challenged.
Here are two brief, amusing perspectives: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4LmozsVVgo&ab_channel=TheBabylonBee
Some people are born with chromosomal differences. Some have mixed genitalia. This excellent New Zealand documentary – Intersexion - explores the lives of the approximately one in 2,000 people born this way. The full documentary is available free from the library.
Here is a poignant and informative clip: https://www.nzonscreen.com/title/intersexion-2012
Perhaps most people have heard of male toxicity. What is female toxicity?
Johnny Depp vs Amber Heard.
“Men are the disposable sex”.
Are we discussing these issues in a fair and reasonable way?
Do we feel free to openly discuss them at all?
- You must register and be on the “Attendees - Going” list to attend.
- We meet UPSTAIRS at the Little Turkish Cafe.
-Please spend at least $10 on food and/or drink. This enables us to use their private room for free.
- Bring 50 cents to cover meetup costs.
- Many of us stay around after the event and chat informally - you are welcome to join us.
OUR RSVP POLICY:
- RSVPs and cancellations will be accepted up until 24 hours before the start of the meetup (ie, up until 6:15pm on Wednesday prior to the meetup).
- Being registered to attend and not attending OR cancelling your attendance after 6:15pm on Wednesday will be considered a 'No Show'.
- Members with two 'No Shows' will be banned from attending further D&M Meetups.
This RSVP policy has become necessary due to the high number of last minute withdrawals and non-attendance which unfairly caused people on the waiting list to miss out. Thanks for your cooperation:)