What we're about
Here is a chance to meet thoughtful people who feel passionately about the deep and meaningful things in life. The group invites like-minded people to engage in lively discussion on a broad range of intellectual topics. Everyone is welcome - just bring your point of view and willingness to share it in a spirit of open mindedness, and a sense of humour.
If you are just looking for a good argument, this group is not for you. If you are craving some good conversation and want to communicate and learn from other people's perspectives, please join us. We attempt to:
- actively listen, consider and respond rather than react. Pauses in the discussion are valuable, giving participants time to reflect;
- keep an open mind. Do not fixate exclusively on your own points of view;
- if possible, vary your content to mix first-hand (personal experience) with second-hand (facts/stats) knowledge;
- balance 'deep and serious' content with 'light and interesting' dialogue. We like to have fun too;
- stay invested in the conversation, even when you don’t agree with what is being said.
The primary focus of this group is to meet face to face – it is not an online discussion group. Any online communication should be as part of the meetup preparation or follow-up.
At the end of each meetup we discuss potential topics for future meetups. We avoid topics that are based on "belief" or "faith" There are other more suitable meetups if this is your bent. (For example, we would only ever discuss religion or spirituality in a sociological or psychological context.)
In Karangahape Rd we meet every second Thursday evening. The Hibiscus Coast and North Shore branches meetings vary. Please note that it is mandatory to order a drink and / or food to support the venue which is hosting us. A fifty cent (50c) donation at each meetup to cover Meetup fees will be appreciated.
Because it is not fair on those on a waiting list if a person RSVPs Yes, and then does not show up, we have a policy that if this happens twice, they will be banned from attending further D & M Meetups.