Join us for a summer-kick-off ceilidh for Gàidhlig (Scottish Gaelic) learners around the region. (Family, friends, and newbies welcome!)
Gàidhlig Photomac members will meet up with members of Baltimore's Sgoil Ghàidhlig Bhaile an Taigh Mhòir (visit them at https://baltimoregaelicstudygroup.wordpress.com/) for this afternoon event, which includes a hike and picnic. Everyone from beginners to advanced learners is welcome! We'll help you use whatever Gaelic you have.
Bring your favorite potluck picnic dish, a blanket (or chairs) to sit on the grass, a shade canopy if you burn, your outdoor games, songs, instruments, and sun screen for a free day in the park meeting others in the area who are learning (or who speak) Scottish Gaelic!
12:30-1 pm: Arrive at the park.
1:00 pm: Gaelic-assisted hike on a moderately easy portion of the Billy Goat Trail (not the real rocky section).
3:00: Picnic, music, songs
More info on hiking, parking, and the C and O canal:
More detailed directions from 1-495:
1. From the Beltway (I-495), take exit 41
(Coming from MD, the sign will say: Carderock, Great Falls, MD. Coming from VA, the sign will say Clara Barton Pkwy, Carderock, Glen Echo.)
2. Take the Clara Barton Pkwy going west.
3. Take the next right (sign says "Carderock, Carderock Div. NavSurfWarCen").
4. Go up the ramp (you'll see an I-495 sign).
5. At the top of the ramp, go left at the stop sign.
6. Go across the bridge over the Clara Barton Pkwy and continue straight into the park (don't turn at the opposite end of the bridge).
7. Follow the road as it winds to the right and goes under the C&O canal bridge.
8. At the stop sign, where the road stops at a T, GO LEFT. We will be in the parking lot of a large pavilion (which we have not booked).