What we're about
If you love to bicycle and enjoy an enthusiastic community of friends, then Greater Loudoun Bicycling Meetup is for you! Some of us ride for fun. Others are training for an event. We aim to broaden your experiences in all things cycling. So check out our calendar to find the next event for you.
We are thrilled to be sponsored by Maverick Bicycles & Coffee! The staff is always ready to help and answer your bicycling and bicycle questions.
Before joining Greater Loudoun Bicycling Meetup, you are required to read Meetup's Terms of Service, including items 6 and 7 regarding Release and Indemnification. https://help.meetup.com/hc/en-us/articles/360027447252?_ga=2.38595109.74258647.1645731012-878837997.1644856896
Upcoming events (4+)
Williamsburg long weekend - starting 08/13 Saturday morning from Richmond and leaving Williamsburg 08/15 Monday morning.
3-day riding event for intermediate to advanced rider levels.
We will be riding the Virginia Capital Trail trail from Richmond to Williamsburg and back, a 51.7 one-way, fully-paved trail that runs through 4 jurisdictions (City of Richmond, Henrico County, Charles City County, and James City County).
Preliminary plans: We have an itinerary - please contact me directly if you want to see it. If you have already RSVP'd for this event, you should have received it already.
Day 1 (Saturday)**: Drive on your own to Richmond (about 2-2.5 hours) to starting location: Overnight parking: Great Shiplock Park, 2803 Dock St., Richmond, VA, 23223.
- We will start our ride promptly at 10:00am and ride the entire 52 mile trail to Williamsburg. Note that depending on the location of your accommodation, there will be an additional 5-10 mile ride. (more details to come on accommodations).
- We will stop for lunch along the way (time and location on itinerary)
- This is a "no-drop" ride. Ride leader will stop every 10-15 miles to regroup. We may end up with 2 groups depending on rider levels. Ride leader(s) will provide their cell number to all riders.
- Dinner with group (time and location on itinerary)
Day 2 (Sunday): Yorktown Battlefield Loop 37
- 37.3mi; Elevation: +1,131ft, -1137 ft; Grade: +4.7%, -7.3%
- Historic Colonial Parkway from downtown Williamsburg along the the York River through Yorktown Battlefield Colonial National Park and the town of Yorktown, and then back to Williamsburg.
- Lunch and dinner with group (time and location TBD)
Day 3 (Monday): return to Richmond via the VCT
- Lunch around noon (time and location along trail)
- You are responsible for booking your own lodging. There are several options depending on your preference: (More to come on lodging - when to start booking, where ride leader(s) will stay, etc.).
- Suggestions from VCT website
- The Historic Powhatan Resort by Diamond Resorts
- Williamsburg Winery
- Colonial Williamsburg Resorts
- Search for Lodging Options
- Feel free to find a roommate !
Come join us for a Wednesday morning social ride on the W&OD, bike lanes and shared-use paths from Leesburg to Baskin Robbins/Dunkin Donuts at Ashbrook Commons in Ashburn.
Meet in front of the bike shop at 8:45 for a prompt 9:00 departure.
The ride will be about 10 miles each way, average 12 mph.
This fun easy ride is a No Drop Ride - no one will be left behind. Ride leader will stop periodically for everyone to catch up, or "pack up" as they say in hunt country.
Hybrid, gravel, e-bikes and road bikes are appropriate . Please remember to check the tire pressure.
Feel free to invite friends. Casual attire encouraged.
Please bring plenty of water for the ride.
All riders should carry a spare inner tube for their bikes (even if you don't know how to change it).
Cyclists ride at their own risk.
Ride will be canceled in the event of rain or winds of 20+ mph.
Anyone interested in a century ride?
2022 Annual RBC Century Reston Town Center
Date: 21 Aug[masked]:30 AM EDT
Registration: [masked]th Annual RBC Century, limited to 1,000 Riders.
Since this event is a RBC event, you will need to register using the link above. Once you register, RBC will provide you with more information on when and where to pick up your shirt and wristband before the event.
Registration: (5/1 - 7/31) $65 non-members |$50 members
Late Registration: (8/1 - 8/14) $75.00
Last-Minute Registration: (8/15 - 8/21) $85.00
Starting and ending point:
1950 Opportunity Way, Reston, VA 20190
Meeting point: Reston Town Center, ORANGE parking lot entrance by Jackson's
Join us for a 24 mile beginner level ride on the C&O Canal.
Our ride will take us from Point of Rocks, MD to Whites Ferry. The canopy of trees and the proximity of the Potomac River keeps the temps cooler on the towpath.
Meet us at 8:45 am at the boat ramp parking lot at Point of Rocks.
Sometimes Amtrak, or CSX with a LOT of cars, is rolling through, preventing cars and bikes from crossing the tracks at Point of Rocks to the parking lot and trail, so give yourself a little extra time. We don't want you to miss the ride!
Directions rom Leesburg: take Rt 15 north. After crossing the Potomac River make an immediate right at the light on Rt 28, then your second right to the parking area for the train station. Make a right along the tracks to the road crossing the railroad tracks, and then over a bridge to the parking area. We will be in the upper parking lot.
The ride to our destination is 12.5 miles each way. Average 10 mph.
The National Park Service has installed a temporary bridge at the washout east of Brunswick. The temporary bridge is accessed on a path off the trail. Everyone will need to walk their bikes down the incline to the 4 ft. wide bridge.
The towpath is flat with a crushed limestone surface.
Hybrid, gravel, mountain, and road bikes are appropriate.
Riders ride at their own risk. Helmets required.
Please bring a spare inner tube that fits your bicycle's tires even if you don't know how to fix a flat.
Please bring plenty of water and a snack for a break at Harpers Ferry.
National Park rules require helmets, and a bell or horn on your bike.