It's time for the fifth edition of the CSS.la Study Group, this time back at Replicated in Culver City!
Our theme tonight is ... a11y a.k.a. Accessibility! 🚀
Accessibility is one of the most important parts of web development, yet one of the most often overlooked and misunderstood. Tonight, we'll review why it's important to incorporate accessibility into your practice from the get-go, and how you can do it. We'll also learn where the a11y shorthand comes from.
Our wonderful presenter, Amy Baldwin, will kick off the discussion with a 20ish minute talk, then we will break into groups and test existing websites with keyboard navigation and a screen reader, and devise improvements.
6:30 - 7:15ish – Arrive and have some food!
7:15 - 7:45ish – Amy Baldwin gives us an overview of a11y
7:45ish - 9:00 – Break into groups to perform a11y audits on existing sites, OR build an Inclusive Component!
9:00ish – Bye! Have a safe trip home :)
If you aren't able to make it, keep an eye on our collaborative notes here:
What to bring:
• Your laptop and charger (or you can always share with someone else and pair program)
• Pen/paper for notes, if that’s your style
• Your curiosity and excitement for CSS, learning, teaching, and coding with new friends!
• Hunger! Our gracious host, Replicated (https://www.replicated.com/), will provide us food as well a choice of beverages. Note that there will be veggie/vegan/gluten-free options.
Parking / venue info:
Getting there is pretty straightforward, and here is a very helpful map of parking spots provided by Replicated: https://goo.gl/IHvLEn
Free CSS Resources:
• Layout Land by Jen Simmons (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7TizprGknbDalbHplROtag)
• CSS-Tricks - Just Starting Out (https://css-tricks.com/guides/beginner/)
• Mozilla - CSS Basics (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/Getting_started_with_the_web/CSS_basics)
• CSS: The Definitive Guide - (https://www.amazon.com/CSS-Definitive-Guide-Eric-Meyer/dp/0596527330)
• CSS Grid Course from Wes Bos (https://cssgrid.io/)
• CSSConf talk recordings:
• Australia: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaitlwoIzU4HIkkRgmpDO8w
• Europe: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL37ZVnwpeshF0XmpjKBJ3-0kvr3b5ZpJR
• Resilient Web Design by Jeremy Kieth (http://resilientwebdesign.com/)
• Also available as a podcast (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/resilient-web-design/id1183700985?mt=2)
• A Book Apart – short, wonderful books about web design topics! (https://abookapart.com/)
*** All attendees at Learn Teach Code events are expected to abide by the Girl Develop It Code of Conduct: http://www.girldevelopit.com/codeofconduct
*** Want extra coding help? Join the Learn Teach Code room on Slack (and ask about the CSS.la channel!): https://learnteachcode.herokuapp.com/
*** Want to get more involved? We always need more help! You can help with or host a study group, provide mentorship, or volunteer for other fun stuff. Let us know on Slack or in person!