What we're about
MaptimeLA is a time to learn to make maps with local data and free tools. Maptime is, rather literally, time for mapmaking.
• Hands-on: Bring a laptop. Bring a marker and notebook. If you don't have one, bring a friend who has one or meet other Maptimers that you can pair and work together with.
• All about learning & tutorials: Aching to get started and mapping now? Check out our tutorials online and start making now: Tutorials (https://github.com/maptimeLA/git_your_map_here)
• All about beginners: Beginners are most welcome! All backgrounds, all experiences, all skill levels are welcome.
• Always working on projects. All the time. Check out what we're working on now: GitHub (https://github.com/maptimeLA/)
• Online everywhere: For more information about Maptime, visit maptime.io (http://www.maptime.io/). Follow us on twitter at @MaptimeLA (https://twitter.com/MaptimeLA) and see our mailing list (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/maptimela) . And check us out on Slack.
Our mission is to open the doors of cartographic possibility to anyone interested by creating a time and space for collaborative learning, exploration, and map creation using mapping tools and technologies. Our goal is to provide this space with an open heart and without pretension. You can bring your own projects to work on, or just hang out and socialize or ask questions. Some people are experts, and some people are just getting started, but all of us are learning, so why not do it together?
Maptime is an open learning environment for all levels and degrees of knowledge, offering intentional educational support for the beginner. Maptime is simultaneously flexible and structured, creating space for mapping tutorials, workshops, ongoing projects with a shared goal, and independent/collaborative work time. Beginners most welcome!