Do you feel like an alien amid the close-minded conservative and religious zealot herd? Are you tired of the banal small talk about trivial matters with the judgmental and self-righteous lemmings of society who pressure you to "conform" to our societal programming yet covertly rarely do themselves? Are you searching for open-minded, critical-thinking, non-judgmental and accepting new friends? "Real" people with integrity and transparency? Me too! I learned the hard way that trying to make quality friends is largely tied to your ability to find a "tribe" of like-minded people and for me that was open-minded rationalists. Open-ended general social groups are like trolling the ocean with a net - you get a lot of collateral catch. I've participated in (and led) other social Meetup groups and while I would occasionally make some good connections it was sporadic and only after having to suffer through a bunch of crappy ones first! I found a few rationalist/humanist type groups here on Meetup but they all seemed to be a bit more "organized" than what I was seeking. I'm not interested in anything highbrow or formal. I'm not interested in attending a "secular outreach" event - seems a bit too dogmatic to me. Nor am I looking to lead/participate in any sort of activist activities. I'm just looking for like-minded folks to hang out/have fun with and hopefully call friends!
Is this group for you? Absolutely not if any of the following statements offends you and/or doesn't resonate with you:
• The official definition for faith is "I don't fucking know but shut up and believe what I tell you".
• All religions are man-made brainwashing tools used by the elite few to control/exploit the uneducated and/or non-critical thinking masses. There is not a "correct" nor "true" religion.
• There is no scientific reason to believe that any religious god(s) is/are more real than Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny.
• There is no scientific reason to believe "Hell" exists and it is simply another name for the pain and suffering we exact on ourselves and others during our life.
• Agnostic atheism is not a religion and is the most intellectually honest position to take regarding the existence of the supernatural at the current time with our current knowledge. An agnostic atheist's position is "there is no reason for me to believe in a god because the current information I have does not require it." They also don't "hate" god as it's impossible to hate that which one does not believe exists. Finally, agnostic atheism is not making an absolute statement regarding the non-existence of the supernatural; we simply "don't know".
• Our nation was founded as a representative democracy and not a theocracy. Our national motto "In God We Trust" should be deprecated and replaced with our previous de facto motto "E Pluribus Unum" (out of many, one). The "under God" phrase should also be removed from The Pledge of Allegiance (itself an archaic and fascist oath to statism but I digress). If you're a student of history you'll note that these changes were made in the 1950s during the second Red Scare by a Congress trying to placate the mostly religious populace by differentiating the United States from "atheistic Communism".
• Religion and spirituality are not the same thing - religion dictates belief whereas spirituality does not.
• Buddhism is a philosophy and not a religion.
• Organized anything (especially religion and politics) is generally a bad idea. Mobs don't think and they follow the leader over the cliff (remember Lemmings?)
• Carl Sagan and George Carlin are the closest thing to a modern day prophet but, please, let's not worship them!
• Morality is subjective and its source is our humanity not the divine.
• Prostitution should be legal and regulated (important for STD and traficking control). I hear the porn industry has a good testing model maybe we should use that.
• Marijuana should be as legal to buy as alcohol in all 50 states. Which means Utah will have whacky Marijuana laws to supplement their existing nonsensical alcohol laws but one victory at a time!
• Monogamy or non-monogamy (open relationships, open marriage, poly, etc.) - it's all good between transparent and consenting adults so go ahead and fuck whomever you want as long as it's legal.
• Marriage only exists in reality and is an amendable legal agreement between two people. But seeing as we have only one shitty archaic and outdated model to choose from to get all those government benefits it's good that anyone can use it if they want, any way they want, until we can come up with something better. Marriage is also not an ownership contract - people aren't property, names don't change and rings are just jewelry.
• Love is not a possession nor a prize to be won.
• "The One" is named Neo - it's about the ones in our lives. Relationships are unique and valuable so don't throw them away; evolve them.
• Authenticity and transparency trump conformity and a lack of integrity.
• Your happiness is your responsibility.
• Learning or creating something is infinitely more interesting than Monday night football or crossfit.
• When you boil away the bullshit all that remains is love.
If you're still reading this then we might be the people you're looking for! All kindred spirits are welcome so come on in!
P.S. Why "North County"? Because I live circa Palomar Airport and I don't want to drive far. And like I paid for the Meetup and stuff. With my Ralph's Club card. I need my White Russians man...
P.P.S. Turns out there are some cool Temecula people so I guess you guys can be considered "North County"! ;-)