What we're about
Upcoming events (1)
This camp teaches individuals with disabilities to ride conventional 2-wheel bikes without training
wheels, using a curriculum and ultra-stable trainer bikes from iCanShine’s iCanBike program. A
core group of researchers, as well as adapted physical education specialists, have devoted years
of time-tested research to enable individuals with special needs to overcome physical and mental
challenges related to riding two-wheelers.
There are a host of benefits:
• Peer inclusion
• Improved health & confidence
• Improved participation in family activities
• Greater independence and transportation
For more information about iCanShine’s bike camp program, please visit their website at:
Camp Format: Training sessions last one hour and fifteen minutes per day. Campers attend the
same session all week. Each camper will be assisted by 1 to 2 volunteer buddies who team up with
their rider and are directed by the iCanShine staff. Family members are welcome to stay and watch
from the observation areas.
- You want to ride a bike independently and can attend Bike Camp all 5 days.
- Age 8 (by 8/1/15) through adult (priority may be given to older applicants).
- Able to walk without assistive device.
- You can stand “side step” (think “straddling a bike to get on”).
- You can pedal a tricycle or bike with training wheels.
- You are willing and able to wear a bike helmet for 1 hour.
- Minimum inseam of 20 inches and maximum weight of 220 lbs. Any height.
What’s included: Use of adaptive bikes, specialized training, one-on-one assistance, a helmet
and a t-shirt will be provided to each rider, along with a medal and certificate upon completion.
During the Camp, staff recommend selection criteria for a suitable bike for each participant.
How to Apply: Please complete the Bike Camp registration form and return it to UCP-OC ASAP. Once your space is reserved, your camp tuition payment is due to UCP-OC.
Payment will confirm your spot in this year’s Camp.
Check with your Regional Center on potential use of respite or other funds to help cover all, or a
portion of, your child’s participation in this program. DSAOC Vendor# PM1261
We look forward to having your loved one at Bike Camp 2015! Thank you.
Monday, August 10 - Friday, August 14, 2015
Soka University, Aliso Viejo
Camp tuition: $250
(Scholarships may be available. Contact Lisa Kerfoot at UCP [masked] for information on how to apply.)
Send your application
to UCP-OC by
Monday, May 18, 2015