PRAIRIE MOUNTAIN NIGHT HIKE
This Night Hike is exclusively for experienced intermediate Prairie Mountain hikers.
This means ...
1) you are familiar with Praire Mountain and have hiked up a minimum of 3 times in the past year and you are competent and capable with your hiking fitness level to be able to complete this event.
2) you have Katoola Micro Spike, a good Headlamp with spare batteries, Whistle, Hiking Poles.
3) you are willing to participate in the "BUDDY" System (minimum of two people) - no Lone Rangers. We all start up at 6:00 PM and we are all back at the vehicles at 8:30 PM
WHY all the rules ...
1. WINTER: it can be very cold and a wind chill increases the possibility of exposure.
2. DARK: a familiar trail looks very different at the end of a light beam and there is an increased risk of losing your way in the dark and becoming lost.
Be ready and be prepared. As much as I would like to take everyone at all levels I will limit these hikes to 12 qualified participants.
Event Directions: Head towards Bragg Creek on Hwy 22 as it turns into Hwy 66. Continue on and park in the Elbow Falls parking lot.
Distance: 7 km ... Elevation: 700 m ... Duration: 3 hours.
PARTICIPANTS INFO: Members Only ... 18 and older only
MINIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 4
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 12
All participants are expected to act as a responsible member of the group. Shared values of this trip include personal responsibility and mutual reliance (we all look out for one another), fun, safety and respect. The organizer is not a guide, but has the final say in matters of safety.
CARPOOL: Our Meet Up is the Trailhead, where we will sign the Waiver ... If you need a ride please connect with other participants in the Comments section or through the Private Message option. A good carpool location in the south is the Starbucks at Chapters 16061 Macleod Trail S.E. with a suggested gas donation of $10.00 for the driver. If you leave at 5:00 you'll be on time.
Dress in layers - you'll warm up and cool down fast ... think wind, rain and snow.
KATOOLA MICRO SPIKES HEADLAMPS AND WHISTLES are MANDATORY (don't question it, just bring it)
1 litre of water, energy bars or trail mix for snacks
Personal First Aid Kit
1. In the event of significant weather change in the area on the day of the event, the event will be re-evaluated.
2. Your Hosts are volunteers, not trained guides. Participants are responsible for assessing the current road conditions, current weather conditions, their current physical condition, current trail conditions and current avalanche conditions for the trip and are responsible for their safety and well-being.
3. Details of this event are subject to undergo a change at any point in time, with or without warning. Your participation is at the discretion of your Event Host. Organizers have the authority to decide who participates on their Posted Events based on your profile and hiking history. If I do not know your hiking history I will be emailing you for a response to ensure this is a good fit for you. Please ensure your profile is up to date, including a current photo for identification. Additionally, the "want a spot" category in the RSVP section to the right will not be first come first serve.
4. It is the responsibility of the participant to check for any updates, changes or cancellations before the trip. Gear checks will be conducted at the meet up location. Failure to have the required gear will result in the participant not attending the trip.
5. Questions about equipment ... contact Event Host for suggestions and recommendations. If you ask a question that is clearly articulated in this Event write-up I will refer to you re-read it.
WAIVERS: You submit that you are fully prepared with proper gear and you're physically fit to do this hike with the group. Your written consent is required for attending this event. You will be asked to provide the name and phone number of an emergency contact. Please read the Waiver by clicking HERE I will bring the group waiver form to the Calgary Slow and Steady Meet Up location.
Earn a FREE "No-Show" when you RSVP and then do not attend you will then forfeit your next trips attendance.
Cancellation Policy: Please let us know about any cancellations to your RSVP to provide opportunities for others to attend. Cancellations after the RSVP's close will mean that you will be Waitlisted on the next event.
Event Crashers Policy: No second chances for Event Crashers. As hosts we maintain a headcount cutoff to create an intimate group dynamic that we try to cultivate at our Events.