What we're about
Let's be honest: Life isn't all peaches and cream, and mainstream education doesn't do much in the way of actually teaching us how to reach our goals, much less how to enjoy the process. At best, it equips us with the skills and knowledge necessary to get a job. But even so, most of us just end up with jobs we didn't really want to begin with.
So what about all the rest? You know, like...
• How to say "f*ck it" to the rules and forge your own path in life.
• How to work towards a future goal without sacrificing your enjoyment of the present.
• How to build up your confidence and sense of self worth so that you're not easily affected by other people's judgements. (Because really, it's about their shortcomings, not yours.)
• How to take care of yourself so that you have the physical and mental energy to actually do the things you dream of doing.
• How to drop shitty friends like they're hot (and how to find good ones.)
and, my personal favorite...
• How to be happy even when absolutely NOTHING goes to plan.
Apparently, this and everything else about being a well adjusted, healthy and happy adult is all the stuff we're expected to figure out on our own since, you know, it's easier than learning basic math (spoiler alert: it's not). So where does one start?
Well, if you hit the jackpot on the job thing, you can shell out a couple of grand on a personal development workshop (with no follow up support) or hire a personal coach at $200 per hour (who will hold your hand through the process). But, if you're like most twenty-to-thirty-somethings who got screwed by the recession your options are pretty much limited to:
• Option A - joining a cult disguised as a personal development group.
• Option B - pouring over self-help books and Googling things like "how to be happy" or "where the hell did I go wrong?"
• Option C - binge watching Netflix shows to avoid dealing with how hard life actually is.
or, for those looking for a supportive, motivating, and empowering environment and practical guidance from someone who's "been there, done that" and who sees you as a person full of purpose and potential instead of as profit margin, there's
• OPTION AWESOME: Joining The Lemonade Brigade, where you can work on yourself today without being broke tomorrow.
So, tell the truth: are you HAPPY? (I mean REALLY happy, like Tom-Cruise-jumping-on-a-couch happy). More specifically, are you doing what you actually want to be doing with your life? Are you excited to wake up every day (even on a Monday?). Do you like your friends? Heck, do you even like yourself???
If the answer to any of those wasn’t a resounding “HELL YES,” don’t worry; you’re not alone. And if “hell yes” wasn’t the answer to even one of them, don’t worry; it’s not you. As someone who once would've answered “hell no” to just about every one of those questions, I know that finding longterm, sustainable, shout-from-the-rooftop happiness isn't as easy as the movies make it seem. But if you let me, I'd like to make it a little easier for you, because as it turns out, my happiness is helping other people find theirs.