PRESENTATION: Structured Authoring to Set Your Content Free
Ed Jamer, Senior Technical Writer, Genesys Information Experience
Barry Grenon, Senior Manager, Genesys Information Experience
How structured authoring, leveraging open source tools, can help your Pubs group grow from being a bottleneck—with complicated toolchains preventing non-writers from contributing—to a service organization that can provide all sorts of content across the organization, including docs-as-code and converged content straddling techcom and marcom, with true single-source-of-truth guiding the overall design of the system.
Focusing on two case studies, this talk will highlight some of the benefits of a pure open source, structured-authoring approach.
As a service group:
* Content experts define the forms and data structures used by all contributors, to enforce consistency of both content and metadata.
* Enable single-source-of-truth content repositories that other groups can pull content from, via REST APIs. In other words, support for a “headless CMS” approach to content re-use between websites (everyone can still own their own websites).
As a writing group:
* Your own technical writing group becomes just another group to service.
* Treat your content like a database, for maximum flexibility of re-use. The structure itself provides the keys from which you can build, sort, link, collate, and automate content.
* Open source allows for rapid prototyping: the “build and show” model for successful projects, versus the “propose and hope” model.
Networking & Announcements: 6:30-7:00
Discussion & Networking: 8:00-8:30
FOOD & DRINK:
Genesys is generously providing drinks and pizza. You are also welcome to bring in your own food, if you like.
* Building Access - A Write the Docs representative will greet you in the lobby and escort you upstairs. (The elevators require a badge after-hours.) The building front doors lock at 7:30 pm. If you arrive after that time, please get the attention of the lobby security officer to be let in.
* Public Transit - The Daly City BART station is nearby and the SamTrans 121 bus stops right near the building.
* Bike Parking - Ask the Write the Docs greeter for access to the free indoor bike parking.
* Car Parking - Free parking in the lot next to the building.
* Restrooms - The building has accessible, gender-separated restrooms. We encourage everyone to use the restrooms they prefer.
CODE OF CONDUCT:
We're an inclusive, caring group. Please take a moment to read the Write the Docs Code of Conduct, http://www.writethedocs.org/code-of-conduct/.