What we’re about
Welcome to 'Activities & Socialising Glasgow' formerly Glasgow IVC. We are a small social group who enjoy meeting up for the cinema, events and chatting. We welcome new members to join us, post in the event chat for information and if you have been a member for a while and would like to organise an event please do.
Please note this group is now independent. You attend any events at your own risk and the group is not responsible for injury or viruses contracted during an event.
Upcoming events (4+)See all
- Cinema Night: A Haunting In VeniceCineworld Cinemas, Glasgow, AL
Meet in The SOCIETY ROOM, West George Street, from 6.30 pm for a meal. Our table will be near the coffee machine at the back right-hand corner of Wetherspoon's beyond the bar. See you in Cineworld if not at The Society Room.
19.40 A Haunting In Venice (12A) 103 mins. Screen 10.
Seats E9-E11 are booked for 3 longstanding members.
Film booking link - https://experience.cineworld.co.uk/select-tickets?sitecode=057&site=057&id=281968&lang=en-GB
An adaptation of one of Agatha Christie's lesser-known thrillers. The author's Hallowe'en Party now becomes A Haunting in Venice, as Branagh's genius detective Hercule Poirot confronts a new form of evil that appears to be rising from the grave.
In post-World War II Venice, Poirot, now retired and living in his own exile, reluctantly attends a seance, when one of the guests is murdered, it is up to the former detective to once again uncover the killer.
Cast: Kenneth Branagh, Tina Fey, Kelly Reilly, Riccardo Scamarcio, Michelle Yeoh, Camille Cottin, Jamie Dornan, Kyle Allen, Emma Laird, Ali Khan.
Director: Kenneth Branagh
- Pub Quiz at Curlers Rest, HillheadThe Curlers Rest, Glasgow
Please join to be part of our team at Curlers Rest. This pub is on Byres Road next door but one to Hillhead Subway. There are also frequent bus services operating nearby.
This is a weekly event. Aileen will try to make most of them but in my absence please continue quizzing! Table(s) will usually be reserved under the name McLaren from 18.45.
Food and drink are available by ordering at the bar, or from our table(s) using the Nicholson's Pubs app.
Meetup Quiz events are generally very popular so please cancel your RSVP as soon as possible if you know you can't make it. No shows will be marked as such and removed from future quiz events. Exceptions only at organiser's discretion.
- Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique - BBC Scottish Symphony OrchestraCity Halls & Old Fruitmarket, Glasgow
Full Price £25+ £1.50 online booking fee.
I have booked Row P, Seat 20 in the stalls.
In his 20th year working with the orchestra, Principal Guest Conductor Ilan Volkov is joined by cellist Charles Curtis to rediscover what The Guardian selected as ONE OF THE BEST CLASSICAL MUSIC WORKS OF THE 21ST CENTURY.
This concerts ends at approximately 9:20pm.
1. “Frustrated in love, a young musician of deep sensitivity and ardent imagination takes opium…” Berlioz’s 'Symphonie fantastique' began as a nineteenth century tale of drugs and lust. It became… well, the name says it all, really. This is a sonic extravaganza of gothic horror, hopeless devotion and glorious excess, played by one of the biggest orchestras the world had then seen.
2. Cassandra Miller’s Duet makes its points more quietly but no less powerfully, and when we gave its world premiere at the 2015 Tectonics Festival, one critic described it as “odd, beautiful, challenging in some ways but ultimately deeply engrossing”.
Part 1 CASSANDRA MILLER - Duet for Cello and Orchestra (c.30 mins)
Part 2 BERLIOZ Symphonie fantastique (c.56 mins)
...........Charles Curtis, cello
Ilan Volkov, conductor
NOTE: TICKETS also available from £20
(but half price for disabled, and £6 ONLY for UNDER 26 YRS or Students.)
- Anyone fancy a game of Badminton?Firhill Sports Centre, Glasgow
Rosemary and a regular group meet up for Badminton at Firhill Sports Centre, Hopehill Road at 20.00 - 22.00. Don't be put off by the number of Attendees shown above as people often attend and don't register here.
Cost is £4pp for each night (CASH ONLY). Any levels welcome.