Come to the third Community Workshop Session on Mon 11 November, featuring Sjors Timmer. Collaborate with your peers to address challenges at work and come up with new solutions and ideas. After the talk you'll decide the topic of the evening and then work in a small group to figure out ways to overcome your challenges. Check out this video where the organisers Jonathan and Richard introduce the new format. (Note: we’ll continue to organise our other event formats, including Content Strategy Lightning Talks.)
Introducing the Community Workshop Sessions (http://vimeo.com/68495709) from Together London (http://vimeo.com/togetherlondon) on Vimeo (https://vimeo.com/).
This is the third event in the Community Workshop Sessions series. If you bought a ticket for our 5 September event (http://www.meetup.com/content-strategy-london/events/124967272/), you should already be on the guest list for this event. If you didn’t, buy a £20 ticket for this event (and it will cover a future event too.)
We're delighted to welcome two user-centered designers.
Sjors Timmer: Improve your work by understanding the different paces of change in your organisation
Sjors (https://twitter.com/sjors) is a freelance Interaction Designer with half a decade of experience in designing for financial services, social networks and e-commerce. He uses a user-centred design process to turn complex problems into understandable, well-working and good-looking applications that make a difference in everyday life. Tonight he'll explore the idea of continuous improvement and the challenges (and benefits) that it brings both for the research, content and UX disciplines.
Martina Schell: 5 things I learned from applying lean startup principles in a design agency
Martina (https://twitter.com/polaroidgrrl) is a User Experience and Creative Consultant who specialises in user-centered design, customer experience strategy and design research. She has over thirteen years experience in interactivity for web, desktop and devices, with a background in brand development. Tonight she’ll share techniques and stories to help us overcome the challenges we face in our work.
6:00pm Doors open (order food and drink at the bar)
6:15pm Welcome exercise and introduction
6:40pm Sjors Timmer: Improve your work by understanding the different paces of change in your organisation
7:00pm Martina Schell: 5 things I learned from applying lean startup principles in a design agency
7:15pm Drink break (order food)
7:30pm What are our challenges? (group brainstorm and vote)
7:50pm Listening exercise
8:10pm World café group problem-solving exercise
9:10pm Closing exercise (actions we'll take)
9:20pm - 10pm: Informal networking and drinks
What are the Community Workshop Sessions?
We created this format to allow us to work with together with other people in the group to overcome some of the challenges we face in our work. We’ll commit to working together as a group over a 2 month period, encompassing 2 meetup sessions. Here’s an outline of the activities:
• We’ll start the evening with a recap session (for those who came to our September event) to update each other on our progress. If you're coming for the first time, we’ll update you on our progress to date.
• Then we’ll watch a talk which will inspire you to work together and give you techniques and advice on how to make progress.
• After the talk, the whole room will create a list of the challenges we face in our work, and then we’ll vote to find the top 4. We'll then split into 4 groups, with a facilitator each, and you’ll choose the group with the challenge closest to your own.
• You’ll work with your group to come up with ideas about how to face the challenges and topics you’ve identified using gamestorming techniques. You’ll also get advice from the speakers.
• With the help of your facilitator, everyone will commit to a concrete action to take as a result of the discussion. You’ll agree stay in touch for the next two months (via basecamp) so you can follow up and share successes, learnings and setbacks.
• At the the next meetup in January, you’ll reunite with your group and catch up about how things went.We’ll start the process again, and form new groups if appropriate.
Your ticket is valid for two sessions
If you attended the previous event on 5 September, your ticket is valid for this session (you should already be on the guest list.)
If this is your first event, your £20 ticket will be valid for this session and our next event in January (we’ll announce the date shortly.)
When you register for this event you are committing to attending in full, from 7pm-9:30pm.
Places are limited
We’ll be working in groups of 8 or less, each with a facilitator. So there are only 40 tickets available. Act fast if you want to be involved!
If you have a question, ask!
If any of this isn’t clear, send us a message (http://www.meetup.com/content-strategy-london/suggestion/)! We’ll get straight back to you.