Let's take a second look at the cherry blossoms and enjoy a full moon on the National Mall!
The route: From the Smithsonian Metro Station, National Mall entrance, we'll walk west along Jefferson Dr SW across 14th St SW to the Survey Lodge Ranger Station, where we'll cross Independence Ave and walk south to the Tidal Basin near the Floral Garden. From there we'll do a clockwise loop around the Tidal Basin past the Jefferson and FDR memorials to the MLK Memorial, where we'll head north, recross Independence Ave and do a clockwise loop around the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool; west and north past the Lincoln Memorial, north and east past the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial, and west past the Vietnam Women's Memorial and Constitutional Garden to the WW2 Memorial. At the WW2 Memorial we'll head north along 17th St NW, east along Pennsylvania Ave NW between Lafayette Square and the White House North Lawn, and back south again along 17th St NW to Jefferson Dr SW and head directly east back to our starting point.
The total walk is about 5 miles of smiles and should take a little over two hours at a moderate pace. The surface fairly level and mostly paved.
Google map: http://tinyurl.com/zj9kkup
How to get there: Metro is recommended.
• Driving: The approximate street address is 1129 Jefferson Dr SW, Washington, DC 20560, GPS =[masked], [masked]. There is adequate parallel street parking in the area, but leave yourself some extra time to find a spot.
• Metro: Take the Washington Metro from wherever you are to the Smithsonian Metro Stop. Exit the station to the north, towards the National Mall. We'll be at the top of the escalator, GPS =[masked], [masked].
• Metro Trip Planner: http://tinyurl.com/o3369v2 (http://tinyurl.com/o3369v2%C2%A0)
What to bring: Water and comfy shoes. Your furry friend is welcome, but note that leashes are required and only service animals are allowed on the Metro. A flashlight might be a handy option for the last part of the walk. See NPS FAQ link below for photography and camera tripod restrictions.
Weather: The forecast is partly cloudy and around 62F as we start, with 7 mph SSE winds. The sun will set at 7:24 pm, civil twilight ends at 7:50 pm, and nautical twilight ends at 8:24 pm. The moon is full with 100% of the Moon's visible disk illuminated. Updates: http://tinyurl.com/2d9xa6k
Advisory: As a reminder, this is an adult group, and you are ultimately responsible for your own safety and well-being during events. No one under 18 years of age is allowed at this event, either as members or as guests, to include babies in carriers and/or strollers.
Administrative stuff: There are public restrooms near the Sylvan Theater, just south of the Washington Monument, in the FDR Memorial, and at several other locations along our route. There are portable restrooms set up on the east shore of the Tidal Basin.
• Cherry Blossom Cam: http://tinyurl.com/lxwqpqc
• Cherry Blossom Watch: http://tinyurl.com/j768wve
• Metro FAQs: http://tinyurl.com/jubh55m
• NPS National Mall permit FAQs: http://tinyurl.com/ln92pus
• US Naval Observatory Sun & Moon Data for March 23: http://tinyurl.com/hxvv3de