Let's take an evening stroll to watch Alexandria’s birthday fireworks!
The route: Starting from the parking lot east of the Braddock Road Metro Station, we’ll walk south on N. West St, turn left onto Wythe St, and follow it east ten blocks. At N. Royal St we'll turn left and walk five blocks north to Third St, turn right, walk east to the waterfront, and follow the shoreline south though Tidelock Park to find a seat on the steps in front of the "Promenade Classique" fountain in between Tidelock and Rivergate Parks.
The walk to the waterfront takes about 30 minutes, so we should arrive at the waterfront between 8:30 and 9:00 pm. The fireworks start at 9:30 pm, accompanied by the Alexandria Symphony Orchestra's performance of "1812 Overture," with cannon support by the United States Marine Corps Basic Training School from Quantico, VA.
After the fireworks, we’ll return west along First St to N. Royal St, turn left, and walk two blocks south to Madison St, where we'll turn right and walk eleven blocks back to our starting point.
The walk is about 2.5 miles of smiles and depending on the length of the fireworks display, we should be back at Braddock Road Station by around 10:30 pm. The surface is sidewalks throughout. This is an easy hike.
Google map: http://tinyurl.com/nougl48
How to get there:
• Driving. From I-395 (either direction) take the King Street exit (5) and follow King Street one mile to West Braddock Street. Follow West Braddock Street east for 2.2 miles, passing through the tunnel under the railroad. Immediately after the tunnel, turn left on N. West Street. The meetup point is on your left, a half a block north. Parallel park anywhere in the area; mind the signage. Parking in the metro station lot is free.
• Metro is not recommended. Braddock Road Metro Station is on the Blue and Yellow lines, and due to the Metro "Safe Track Plan," these lines are shut down between Reagan National Airport and Braddock Road. See http://tinyurl.com/haflak6
What to bring: Water and comfy shoes. Insect repellent and a flashlight are recommended. Consider bringing a blanket to sit on, but if things work out as planned, the steps of the "Promenade Classique" fountain should be much better than sitting on the grass. As we get closer, keep an eye on the forecast to decide whether an umbrella is in order.
** NB: I do not recommend bringing your furry friend due to the fireworks. **
Weather: The forecast is mostly sunny and a high of 93F, decreasing to a low of 72F, with a 20% chance of scattered showers and thunderstorms developing late in the evening. Updates: http://tinyurl.com/njo3ngq
• As a reminder, this is an adult group, and you are ultimately responsible for your own safety and well-being during events. No one under 18 years of age is allowed at this event, either as members or as guests, to include babies in carriers and/or strollers.
• Wear light or reflective clothing and keep an eye out for motorists, especially when crossing US-1 (N Henry and N Patrick) and N Washington St!
Administrative stuff: There are restrooms and beverages/snacks available at several commercial establishments along our route. (See the Google map.)
• Alexandria fireworks at About.com: http://tinyurl.com/o4u3zmb
H/T to Julia (http://www.meetup.com/alexandria-walking-group/members/47406122/) for the great photo from last year's celebration!