*** NB: This just a visit, not a hike! ***
The El Galeón, a full-size replica of a 16th century Spanish galleon, is currently docked at the Alexandria Waterfront, one of her stops along her journey up and down the Eastern U.S. Coast. We will walk by her later Sunday evening during our moonlight walk, but some of you might enjoy a chance to visit during daylight hours and, if desired, tour the ship.
The ship will be visiting Alexandria from November 9 to November 14, and is open for self-guided tours from 10 am to 7 pm daily.
Walking around the outside and taking photos is free, but a self-guided walking tour of the ship is available for a small fee. Once aboard, you are free to roam above and below the decks (5 total), talk to the current crew members (real sailors living on board), and absorb dozens of interactive exhibits, videos, historical documents and displays. There is no time limit for your tour, and photos are welcome.
The ticket price for the tour is $10 per adult, payable at the entrance of the vessel at the Alexandria Marina, the Alexandria Visitor Center, or online here:
Sunday is one of only two weekend days the ship will be in Alexandria, so it may be a good idea to purchase your ticket in advance.
How to get there:
• Metro: King Street Station is on the Blue and Yellow Lines. From the bus stop on the east side of King Street Station, there is a free shuttle bus that will take you to waterfront at the east end of King Street.
• Driving: From US-1/Jefferson Davis Hwy (either direction) take King St east 0.5 miles to Union St and turn left. The Torpedo Factory will be on your right, and the Alexandria Waterfront is immediately behind it. There is a parking garage across Union St from the Torpedo Factory, and free parallel parking along streets in the area. (Normally it is metered but on Sunday it is free - check the signage before you park!)
Weather: The forecast is sunny and a high of 62F. Updates here: http://tinyurl.com/njo3ngq .
What to bring: Water and comfy shoes. The website does not say, but I imagine only service animals are allowed aboard the galleon.
Advisory: As a reminder, this is an adult group, and you are ultimately responsible for your own safety and well-being during events. No one under 18 years of age is allowed at this event, either as members or as guests, to include babies in carriers and/or strollers.
Administrative stuff: There are restrooms and drinking fountains in the Torpedo Factory.
Breakfast before: If you would like to grab a bite of breakfast/brunch before the visit, please join us at 8:30 am at Jackson 20, 1/2 block west of the Market Square on the south side of King St. It's a 0.3 mile/6 minute walk from the meetup point; see https://goo.gl/maps/deA6yYes6ER2 . Jackson 20 opens at 8 am; the address and menu are below.
• Alexandria Visitor Center, 221 King St, Alexandria, VA 22314,[masked]. (Opens at 10 am.)
• "El Galeón Visits Alexandria" at VisitAlexandria.com: http://tinyurl.com/gntumzh
• El Galeón at the Nao Victoria Foundation: http://tinyurl.com/hr6pqrr
• Jackson 20, 480 King St, Alexandria, VA 22314,[masked]. Menu (brunch): http://tinyurl.com/hayhbcn
Photo of the El Galeón is from the Nao Victoria Foundation website noted above.