Hey, it's time for our annual urban hike around the Dupont and Kalorama Districts in Washington DC! We're visiting a couple of months later this year, so it should be cooler and, because of the Autumn leaves, a lot more colorful, too!
The route: After taking in the sights around Dupont Circle and points south, we’ll walk northwest along Massachusetts Avenue, enjoy a walk through the woods of Rock Creek Park, and return along Connecticut Avenue, with a slight detour to the east to look at a few sights near the finish line. Along the way we’ll see the historic mansions, condominiums and rowhouses of the Dupont and Kalorama Districts, with examples of several different architectural styles. Today a lot of these buildings house embassies from around the world, so we'll see much of Embassy Row along the way.
The total walk is a loop of about 4.8 miles of smiles, and should take about 2 hours at a moderate pace. Except for a brief stretch of dirt path in Rock Creek Park, the surface is pavement and sidewalks throughout, with lots of changes in elevation.
• Google map: http://tinyurl.com/jux9v3v
• Site photos/descriptions: http://tinyurl.com/pdjgjvt
• Print map (pdf): http://tinyurl.com/Dupont-Kalorama
How to get there: The Dupont Circle Metro Station is on the Red Line. To get to the meetup point, exit the station towards Dupont Circle South and at the top of the escalator, proceed into the Circle. If you are driving, there is parallel parking around side streets nearby.
What to bring: Water, comfy shoes and your furry friend if desired (leashes, please). The layered look is fashionable, especially considering the wind.
Weather: The forecast is cloudy and a high of 51F, with 15-25 mph WNW winds and a slight (10%) chance of showers. Updates: http://tinyurl.com/6yjth63
Advisory: As a reminder, this is an adult group, and you are ultimately responsible for your own safety and well-being during events. No one under 18 years of age is allowed at this event, either as members or as guests, to include babies in carriers and/or strollers.
• There are restrooms in commercial establishments around Dupont Circle, notably Panera Bread, if you need to make a pit stop before and/or after the hike. There are also several commercial establishments along our route, but to avoid an unduly long hike, we will not take any scheduled breaks.
• Woodley Park-Zoo Metro Station is near the halfway point (2.9 miles/1 hour) of our walk if anyone needs to depart early or would like a shorter walk.