Kenwood, a Chevy Chase neighborhood near Bethesda, has 1,200 cherry trees lining its streets, many dating back to the neighborhood's development in the early 1920s. Kenwood's trees are of the Kanzan variety, which typically bloom later than the Yoshino variety most common around the Tidal Basin. Let's go check them out!
● What we’ll do:
◦ From the Bethesda Metro Station Plaza (GPS[masked], [masked]) we'll walk south along Wisconsin Ave to Bethesda Ave, turn right, and walk a block west. At the PAUL Cafe we'll turn left onto the Capital Crescent Trail and walk southwest to Dorset Ave, where we'll turn right to enter Kenwood. After a 2-mile walk around Kenwood streets we'll retrace our steps to the Bethesda Metro Station.
◦ This a 5-mile modified out-and-back walk that should take about 2 hours. The surface is paved and fairly level throughout.
◦ Google map: https://tinyurl.com/yd9muurw
● How to get there:
◦ Metro: The Bethesda Metro Station is on the Red Line. See the WMATA website for connection info: https://www.wmata.com/
- From the I-495 Capital Beltway Inner Loop, take exit 34 to merge onto MD-355 S/Rockville Pike toward Wisconsin Ave/Bethesda and drive 2.7 miles.
- From the I-495 Capital Beltway Outer Loop, take exit 34 for Maryland 355 toward Rockville/Bethesda/Wisconsin Ave. Merge onto MD-355 N/Rockville Pike, and after driving north 0.4 miles, make a U-turn at Tuckerman Lane and follow MD-355 South for almost 3 miles.
- Parking: There are several public parking garages in the area that are free on weekends. The nearest is Waverly Garage, just east of the Metro Station at 7401 Waverly St, Bethesda, MD 20814. NB: Driving and parking in Kenwood itself is prohibited.
● What to bring: Water, comfy shoes, and your furry friend if desired (leashes, please). Sunscreen and sunglasses are recommended.
● Weather: The forecast is mostly sunny and a high of 82F, with a slight chance of showers and 10-20 mph SSW winds. Updates here: http://tinyurl.com/hkqbbo2
● Advisory: As a reminder, this is an adult group, and you are ultimately responsible for your own safety and well-being during events. No one under 18 years of age is allowed at this event, either as members or as guests, to include babies in carriers and/or strollers.
● Administrative Stuff: There are restrooms in commercial businesses near Bethesda Station and in Bethesda along our route. (See the Google map.) The closest one to our meetup point is Dunkin' Donuts at 7500 Old Georgetown Rd MRGR2, Bethesda, MD 20814.
◦ Kenwood Cherry Blossoms at Bethesda Beat: https://tinyurl.com/yb6clye2
◦ Public parking garages: http://tinyurl.com/lgaso8h