What we're about
Upcoming events (1)
Saturday 11th June 2022
"Pacifism and the Notion of 'a Just War' "
facilitated by Robert James
Guest Presenter: Mr David Purnell
from the Canberra Quakers and the Social Developers Network!
![img]()"The notion of a 'just war' - is this an oxymoron?"
Alfred Korzybski thought that it was about time for the 'Manhood of Humanity', and that World War I would be the "War to End all Wars" etc.
So we ask ourselves eg ...
* Is general semantics a pacifist ideology?
* Is it "true" that "All is fair in love and War"?
* Can we be effective time-binders
when "the other party" does not play by the same rules?
* How can we use GS to assess the merits of fight or flight
when all negotiations are exhausted?
* Is it ever acceptable to engage in lethal combat when "we cannot walk away"?
* When should we "turn the other cheek" in the face of intolerable oppression?
* What about in the school-yard, at work, with friends or lovers, or in your marriage / partnership?
"All" will be explained (not) when we meet to discuss.
*** * ***
We have a very special Guest Presenter: Mr David Purnell, from the Canberra Quaker community, who comes from a very long association with our Laurie Cox and the Social Developers Network.
*** * ***
Saturday 11th June[masked] am - 1pm (Sydney time),
Friday 27th May 6 pm (Montreal, Ohio time).
Where: On-line, by Zoom: Click here to join the meeting
Cost: Zero, Zilch - it's free!