The idea of this hackathon is to spend an evening and a day together to discover and learn about new technologies in the big data space. There will be no preparations, no slides, no prizes, no pitches. Just hacking and learning together. Recently, 2 new interesting open source libraries have been released:
- Amundsen: A data discovery and metadata engine https://eng.lyft.com/amundsen-lyfts-data-discovery-metadata-engine-62d27254fbb9?fbclid=IwAR16_iJnbfK-idJVvWV9eEUx0ODej5uTYMMV07Da5lUbcMcfbcxlkk_VNho
- Delta: Delta Lake is a storage layer that brings reliability to your data lakes built on HDFS and cloud storage by providing ACID transaction https://databricks.com/blog/2019/04/24/open-sourcing-delta-lake.html
If you have another technology that you would like to dive into, feel free to suggest it in the comment section. Particularly, this will be a month after Kubecon Barcelona, so I reckon a few of you would like to play around with Kubernetes for a bit.
- We start at 5pm at Data Minded offices. We'll provide food and drinks.
- We go home at 23pm. No sleep-over facilities.
- We get back together the next morning at around 9am and we'll continue throughout the day.
- We wrap up at 6pm
- For those who like, we can go for food and beers together
- If you can only make Friday or only make Saturday, that's fine. No strict timelines or rules.
This is a very hands-on hackathon so please join if you are willing to dive in yourself. There will be no teachers, no slides, no presentations. There is a PS4 for distraction and plenty of stuff to do in Leuven City center when you get bored. If you like having fun with other engineers and hack & learn together, it would be great if you can be there.