• Pace: 12-14 mph for approximately 40 miles (though climbing pace will be significantly slower)
• Terrain: Moderate Hills (except for Cactus Loop itself)
• Ride Type: Training
• Elevation Gain: +1507 ft / -1519 ft
• Traffic: Very Light (at the time of the morning we'll be riding).
Route: (Link to Cue Sheet - pdf (https://www.civitas.cc/file/pdf/CivitasSeries40miCueMap.pdf)) Take University Blvd East to N Highland Ave. Turn right onto N Highland Ave. Follow N Highland Ave until E 16th Street. Turn right onto E 16th Street and follow until it intersects the Aviation Bikeway. Turn left onto the Aviation Bikeway. Follow the Aviation Bikeway until Country Club. Take a left onto Country Club and then follow it until 22nd Street. Turn right (east) onto 22nd and follow to Spanish Trail, then a left onto Cactus Forest Drive and into Saguaro National Park (East), one time around the eight mile loop around Cactus Forest Drive, then out of the park and a right onto Spanish Trail and then a right onto South Houghton Road. From Houghton road, take a left onto 22nd Street. From 22nd St take a right onto S Camino Seco. From Camino Seco, take a left onto Broadway Blvd. From Broadway take a right onto N Highland Ave and then a left onto University Blvd and back to the flagpole.
Map Link: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21924509
Parking: During the weekend, most parking garages on the University of Arizona Campus offer free parking.
This is a small training ride with a long wind up to a short but intense climb - up to 8% over 1.5 miles - up the "back hill" of the Cactus Forest Drive Loop in Saguaro National Park (East). Please arrive around 5:45 so that we can get the paperwork and brief chat out of the way to start the ride by 6am. Please check the map link with the elevation profile to see if this ride is for you.
Ride Coordinator: Matt Harmon @ [masked]
• Food & fluids for 3 to 4 hours - 2 24oz Bottles or Hydration Pack. Consider hydration aids (salt pills or electrolytic solutions).
• A tube/patch kit and a way to inflate.
• Be sure your bike is in good mechanical condition.
• CPSC approved helmets must be worn at all times while riding.
• No ear buds! This is a safety requirement; not a request.
• $5 or your National Park Pass for entry into Saguaro National Park (East)
If you are riding on this ride I ask that you agree that:
• You will obey traffic laws. Drive your bike as you would your (or a) car.
• You are a representative of the greater cycling community and will therefore conduct yourself appropriately.
• You will represent GABA well.
• This is a "training" or "intensive" ride - you will likely outrun your ride leader and that is okay by him. Some individuals may elect to ride together.
• If any of these standards are unclear, you will ask for clarification.
GABA Ride Types:
• Social – No Drop: we ride together two abreast where conditions permit. We often have a sweep rider and no one gets dropped
• Re Group: We ride in smaller groups at our own pace and regroup at specified points in the route
• Training Ride: The route is posted and all riders need to be self sufficient
Please select GABA rides where you are confident that you can ride the posted distance and pace.
When you are looking for a different pace or distance, contact any GABA Ride leader to request a ride.
GABA Ride Codes:
• A 20+ mph
• B+ 18-20 mph
• B 16-18 mph
• C+ 14-16 mph
• C 12-14 mph
• D 8-12 mph
• 1 Flat
• 2 Minor Hills
• 3 Moderate Hills
• 4 Long Climbs or Very Steep