• Pace: 14-15 mph for approximately 40 miles (though climbing pace will likely be significantly slower)
• Terrain: Moderate Hills (except for Cactus Forest Drive Loop itself)
• Ride Type: Training
• Elevation Gain: +1507 ft / -1519 ft
• Traffic: Very Light (at the time of the morning we'll be riding).
• Link to PDF cue sheet with map: https://www.civitas.cc/file/pdf/CivitasSeries40miMk3CueMap.pdf
• Hourly weather forecast for station near start: https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/az/tucson/KAZTUCSO946/date/2018-05-12
Map Link: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27359760
Parking: During weekends, most parking garages and lots on the University of Arizona campus offer free parking. Most spaces on University Boulevard do not require payment during the weekends.
This is a small training ride with a long wind up to a short but intense climb - up to 8% over 1.5 miles - up the "back hill" of the Cactus Forest Drive Loop in Saguaro National Park (East). Please arrive around 5:50am so that we can complete the paperwork and safety briefing to start the ride by 6am. Please check the map link with the elevation profile to see if this ride is for you. Morning coffee to follow at Woops! Cafe for those who desire.
Ride Coordinator: Matt Harmon @ [masked]
• Your bike.
• A CPSC approved helmet.
• No ear buds. This is a safety requirement; not a request.
• Food & fluids for 3 to 4 hours - 2 24oz Bottles or Hydration Pack. Consider hydration aids (salt pills or electrolytic solutions).
• A spare tube/patch kit and a way to inflate a deflated tire.
• $5 or your National Park Pass for entry into Saguaro National Park (East)
If you are riding on this ride I ask that you agree that:
• You will obey traffic laws. Drive your bike as you would your (or a) car.
• You are a representative of the greater cycling community and will therefore conduct yourself appropriately.
• You will represent GABA well.
• A CPSC approved helmets must be worn at all times while riding.
• You have verified that your bike is in good mechanical condition.
• This is a "training" or "intensive" ride - you will likely outrun your ride leader and that is okay by him. Some individuals may elect to ride together.
• If any of these standards are unclear, you will ask for clarification.
GABA Ride Types:
• Social – No Drop: we ride together two abreast where conditions permit. We often have a sweep rider and no one gets dropped
• Re Group: We ride in smaller groups at our own pace and regroup at specified points in the route
• Training Ride: The route is posted and all riders need to be self sufficient
Please select those GABA rides of posted distances and pace you are confident that you can ride.
When you are looking for a different pace or distance, contact any GABA Ride leader to request a ride.
GABA Ride Codes:
• A 20+ mph
• B+ 18-20 mph
• B 16-18 mph
• C+ 14-16 mph
• C 12-14 mph
• D 8-12 mph
• 1 Flat
• 2 Minor Hills
• 3 Moderate Hills
• 4 Long Climbs or Very Steep