What we're about
Upcoming events (4+)
Before the age of modern medicine, people had to know how to use different plants to treat their ailments. Native plants also served as a source of food for those who knew how to properly collect and prepare them. Learn about the edible and medicinal plants of N.C. on this ranger-led hike. Free. JEN IS NOT HOSTING, MERELY POSTING...CALL CLARK PARK DIRECTLY TO REGISTER AT[masked]
This class is designed to introduce the sport of archery to beginners. -Participants will use compound bows as they learn the basics of archery. Safety, proper stance and correct form will be taught. You will be hitting the bull’s eye in no time! For ages *+ Adults welcome too. $5. Register early; space is limited. JEN IS NOT HOSTING, MERELY POSTING. TO REGISTER, CALL LAKE RIM PARK DIRECTLY at[masked]
Learn about local lore and legends as you listen to stories of this region’s haunted past. Roast marshmallows outside at the campground. May not be suitable for young children. $5. JEN IS NOT HOSTING, MERELY POSTING...CALL CLARK PARK DIRECTLY TO REGISTER AT[masked]
Link visible for attendees
In your own home, at your own leisure (anytime -- not just the date of this event): now you can learn a ton in the online portion of Disaster + Travel + Wilderness First Aid! COURSE TOPICS VIDEOS are almost exactly as MEDIC SOLO always presents them with the latest on disaster and wilderness medical science. Intermixed at several points we guide you to practice various skills.
Choose one of two ways to learn:
A) On-line only- view our 7-hour course at home, do the self-guided practice and receive a certificate of completion. Fee: $115.
This option, more INFO and REGISTRATION / TO GET STARTED: www.solowfa.com/online-course.htm
B) Blended learning-view our 7-hour course at home NOW, and receive a 3-year credit to attend one of our in-person dtWFA classes in order to practice skills learned with one of our seasoned instructors. Upon the successful completion of the in-person class, you will receive a 2-year SOLO WFA certification. Fee: $245.
This option, more INFO and REGISTRATION / TO GET STARTED: www.solowfa.com/blended-learning.htm
Sneak peek at the course:
• "Fantastic online program."
• "The quality of teaching and the personality of each instructor was ABSOLUTELY STELLAR. There is a lot more to learning than just the textbook curriculum, especially with medical situations."
• "It was much less stressful having the opportunity to be taught on my own schedule rather than having two intensive days."
• Much appreciation for the ability to click "pause" to take notes and write down questions (which MEDIC will answer), and ability to rewind and replay demonstrations, explanations, etc. -- can't do that in a live class.
• Full transparency, all feedback surveys, unfiltered: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18qcXYJt-CUoLW0hqLtFRmGv7H858iflrq7fguSk6zfM/edit?usp=sharing
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Let's all please do our part to maintain social distancing, and do what we can to prevent problems and treat injured people, so as to reduce demands on hospitals. Exercise outdoors, where allowed, is great to boost your immune system; however we've found many people on trails are not respecting social distancing when passing by. If you decide to go out, when you see someone you'll pass by, please proactively step off trail at least 6 feet. Try to leave no trace as best you can, stepping only on durable surfaces like bare rock when possible. Thanks!
Now is a time when your dtWFA skills may be needed most.
• Hospital beds are filling up and we need to reduce their demand. If with dtWFA skills you treat someone and they no longer need to go to the hospital, fantastic and so helpful in many ways.
• Some parks are seeing their highest-ever mid-week daytime visits. More people are outdoor adventuring and most don't have the skills you're considering learning, and may be in need especially as more first-timers go explore the outdoors.
• Hopefully the following will never happen: fewer EMTs staffing ambulances and thus a call to 911 for medical assistance is less responsive, or outbreaks occur within hospitals and those entire facilities end up being quarantined and unavailable ... leaving it up to dtWFA-trained folks to provide care.
Thank you everyone, for all that you do to strengthen our communities, making disaster and wilderness areas safer for all.