CLOSED TO NEW MEMBERS EXCEPT BY REFERRAL; YOU MUST BE A MEMBER TO ATTEND AN EVENT
Welcome to Great Hikes Plus One…One other activity that is! The members of our group love hiking but also like to combine an inspiring walk in the woods with something else to double the enjoyment. It could be a strenuous hike followed by a hearty meal at a local pub. Or a walk through giant redwoods followed by winetasting and a picnic. How about a morning hike followed by a visit to a nearby art & wine festival or a quaint town’s artisanal shops?
Our group loves nature and cherishes socializing. In fact, here we are doing just that over the past six years:
There are plenty of hiking groups for when you just want to get out there and walk. But for those days that you want something more, join one of our outings! The hikes are 9 to 14 miles, medium- to fast-paced, and can be anywhere in the South Bay and further south, north or east. (e.g., Pinnacles, Diablo, or Mt. Tam.) We stop for all creatures including banana slugs, tarantulas, and newts, and we also stop periodically for clothing breaks and at junctions so that everyone has a chance to catch up.
• Please post a visible photo of yourself, which helps us all recognize each other on outings. Please do not post a nature photo or cartoon (those result in automatic denials; sorry about that).
• Be able to maintain a medium- to fast-paced hike, which means 2.5 to 3.5 miles per hour. Generally, we hike 3 mph.
• To ensure that people come prepared for our hikes as well as have accurate headcounts at the Plus One events, you can only RSVP for yourself. Friends are welcome but they need to join our meetup and RSVP themselves.
• For Plus One events that involve restaurants, please bring cash to pay your portion of the bill. A good rule of thumb is your meal and beverage x 1.3.
• If you just want to hike and not join the post-hike activity, then our group is not for you. (But there are plenty of hiking meetups out there for you to join!) It's also understandable that occasionally you will sign up for an activity and cannot make the Plus One. Please make that the exception, and not the rule (and also inform the hike leader ahead of time).
• Last but not least, you need to have your email settings from Meetup such that you can see messages from the hike leader or other members about each event you are signed up for.