Are you interested in your code having a larger impact than your personal projects or your job? Have you been interested in participating in open source, but never knew how to start? This workshop is going to be focused on getting everyone who attends to make their first contributions to open source Ruby projects. All levels of Ruby experience are welcome!
• Bring a laptop and charger (if you don't have one, you can pair with someone)
• Install Ruby 2+ (https://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/installation/)
• Install PostgreSQL (http://www.postgresql.org/download/) (or we do it here if you run into issues)
• Create a GitHub account (if you don't already have one)
• Download GitHub Desktop (https://desktop.github.com/), and go through the Tutorial under the Help menu (unless you are already comfortable with Git)
If you are experienced in Ruby and open source contribution and would be interested in mentoring, please get in touch: [masked].
Space, snacks, and drinks are being graciously provided by thoughtbot.
We are anticipating high demand for this event, so are charging a nominal fee to ensure those who RSVP actually intend to be there. All proceeds will go towards Meetup group fees. Please only RSVP if you can stay for the whole time.
Let us know in the comments if you have any questions. If you can't make it, don't worry, we plan to do more in the future. Looking forward to seeing you then!