- Hike Lakeline LoopLakeline Park, Cedar Park, TX
Let's meet at Lakeline Park where we will walk about 3.0 miles. Please bring a flashlight. The trail is paved so street shoes will be fine for the trek. Please note that we will be meeting at The Mobile Kayak rentals (GPS coordinates 30°29′13″ N 97°48′54″ W). I will also attach a picture of where we will meet in front of the The Mobile Kayak rentals.
For more information on the park click here.
In the event of bad weather, I will issue a cancellation notice at least one hour prior to the event.
If you need to contact me, my phone number is 512-922-2006.
Please note this event is also posted on Hiking, Walking and Socializing.
Finally, we recommend that you review information on the trail and that you come prepared for the hike (e.g., bring at least two liters of water, wear appropriate footwear such as hiking boots, and a brimmed hat.) All attendees are solely responsible for their own health and safety.
By RSVPing for this event, you are agreeing that you are taking sole responsibility for your own health and safety and, if any, your guests' health and safety. If you or your guests are not willing or are unable to take responsibility for your own health and safety, do not RSVP for this event.
- National Margarita Day?!?!…OK! 🤔🤷🏽♀️🙌🏽😍Bouldin Acres, Austin, TX
I guess they do make up a national holiday for everything! 😂
If you’ve never visited Bouldin Acres it’s a pretty cool place to explore. No live music, but tons of space to make new friends and celebrate such an awesome made-up holiday. 🙌🏽💯💃🏽
Thank you Todd McCalla for starting this trend!!!🏆🤣
- Superstar Karaoke with F******g Friends!Tejas Meat Supply, Georgetown, TX
Time for some Karaoke! Join F******g Friends for a fun night of singing and good times at Tejas Meat Supply in downtown Georgetown for Superstar Karaoke with Robert Goodwin.
We will update comments in this event with a more specific location within the venue near the start time.
- Angler Education Instructor Training WorkshopKyle Public Library, Kyle, TX
Are you looking for ways to volunteer and give back to the community?
Become a Certified Angler Education Volunteer Instructor
I will be helping to lead this free workshop, open to anyone 18 and older interested in teaching fishing skills in their communities and educational settings. You don't need to be an experienced angler to sign up. We follow a teach-the-teacher model. Skill levels of those who take the program range from "never fished" to "years and years" of experience.
The program provides the curriculum, equipment (where available), materials and support to help volunteers successfully introduce all ages to fishing.
Ideal for teachers, group leaders, afterschool or camp staff and community volunteers. TEA-approved CPE available for teachers.
After training, there are volunteer opportunities all over central Texas to get involved with, as well as anything you want to do on your own.
Please bring a sack lunch and water bottle.
***Pre-registration is required! ***
Register HERE on the Texas Parks and Wildlife website.
- Monthly F*****g Friendship Circle!The Austin Beer Garden Brewing Co., Austin, TX
This event is the anchor event for the F*****g Friends!
The purpose of this event is to introduce the group to new members, reconnect with friends we haven't seen in a while, or just check-in with each other once a month and see how we are all doing!
The event will be held at locations throughout Austin (preferably outside with a rainy day back-up location). During our time together, we will discuss the following topics:
- What friendship means to you.
- What are some of the things you've discovered through existing friendships?
- What are some of the things you hope to discover through new friendships?
- What are some of your hopes, curiosities, fears and expectations about making and maintaining friendships in the Austin area?
I will post a more exact location in the comments section when I get to the event venue.
Hope to see you there!!
NOTE: We are a MeetUp that provides social opportunities to support the development of friendships in the Austin area. Anything that goes beyond that is where our MeetUp ends and ya'lls journey in friendship begins! Our organizers share a passion for building friendships in Austin and addressing the epidemic of social isolation. You can find out more about the Surgeon General's advisory at the link below:
About the organizer: Susie is a born and raised Austinite. Her parents, grandparents and some great grandparents are also original Austinites. She likes to say that her family doesn't just keep Austin weird, they helped make it that way!
Susie has been a co-organizer with "I love Austin, but I need some f****g friends!" for 6 years, and stepped up to be the lead organizer in 2022. She is an ordained minister (with no religious affiliation) and is passionate about building community and strong friendships in the beautiful city of Austin.
When not spending time with ya'll, she enjoys reading, writing, baking and playing acoustic guitar.
Please let me know if you are interested in organizing for this group or have any questions about the group and it's organizers!
- Reading: Think Like a Monk: Train Your Mind for Peace and Purpose Every DayLink visible for attendees
Join the I Love Austin, but I Need Some F*****g Friends! group for a weekly online book discussion of Think Like a Monk by Jay Shetty. We will kick off the book discussion with personal introductions and discussing the book introduction and Chapter 1 on January 21st and continue to meet on Sunday afternoons at the pace that feels right to us.
In this inspiring, empowering book, Shetty draws on his time as a monk to show us how we can clear the roadblocks to our potential and power. Combining ancient wisdom and his own rich experiences in an ashram, Think Like a Monk reveals how to overcome negative thoughts and habits, and access the calm and purpose that lie within all of us. He transforms abstract lessons into advice and exercises we can all apply to reduce stress, improve relationships, and give the gifts we find in ourselves to the world. Shetty proves that everyone can—and should—think like a monk.
Whether you're a seasoned meet up attender or brand new to the community, you will feel at home during this book discussion. I invite you to obtain a copy of the book because this is one that you will want to keep for reference.
Do not miss out on this fantastic opportunity to make meaningful connections and share learned insights with fellow group members.
Keep in mind that you will need to give zoom camera access during the discussion because everyone in attendance will be expected to be actively engaged in the book discussion.
# Think Like a Monk Quotes
“Remember, saying whatever we want, whenever we want, however we want, is not freedom. Real freedom is not feeling the need to say these things.”
“Cancers of the Mind: Comparing, Complaining, Criticizing.”
“The more we define ourselves in relation to the people around us, the more lost we are.”
“our search is never for a thing, but for the feeling we think the thing will give us.”
“In 1902, the sociologist Charles Horton Cooley wrote: “I am not what I think I am, and I am not what you think I am. I am what I think you think I am.”
“Actually, the greatest detachment is being close to everything and not letting it consume and own you. That’s real strength.”
- Randomly Hosted Pub Trivia at Celis BreweryCelis Brewery, Austin, TX
Trivia night at Celis Brewery! This event alternates hosts based on availability. There is no way I have time to update every week to reflect who volunteers. Ya'll love this event - so get together, pay attention to the chat for location in the bar, or ask the bartender, Josh (he always knows where we are sitting). Also, tip him well while you are at it, he has been serving us with a smile for about 3 years now.
Geeks Who Drink Pub trivia event at Celis Brewery. It’s free to play (but order a pint or something and tip!) Expect 70-ish questions over 2 hours. Win free pints and other prizes. Go on to massive fame, fortune, a happy home life, self-realization, etc.
*******Important info. Please read before attending*********
- Trivia is a competitive and actively engaging activity. While we have seen many fantastic friendships made during the past 2 years at our trivia events, please note that the F*****g Friends also provide more laid back activities to socialize and meet people than this one.
- Geeks Who Drink limits tables to 6 per team. This is not our rule. We respect Geeks Who Drink's request on this because we like having a good relationship with them and the teams around us.
- Come before 7:00 pm to ensure a spot on a F****g Friends team. Organizers will not accommodate late arrivals.
- We ask that teams identify the group by have "F*****g Friends" in their team name. Ex: F*****g Friends (because anything else is sloppy seconds!)
- If you make friends through our group and form your own trivia team outside of our group we will not be offended. Actually, we will be happy because that means you've made some f****g friends (yay!)
- If you spin off your own teams, we will ask that you no longer RSVP through our MeetUp because it confuses people who are new to the group (unless ya'll want to stay a F****g Friends team, then please keep with the naming convention and be open to new people when you have extra space).
- Our MeetUp and Geeks Who Drink trivia end at the same time. Sometimes people like to go out to dinner/drinks after an event. These are not F*****g Friends activities. Where our MeetUp ends is where ya'lls journey in friendship begins.
- Have some f*****g fun, ya'll. Mondays are already serious enough!
Celis Brewery brews Belgian-style ales and other beers, including the original witbier that Pierre Celis brewed in Hoegaarden, Belgium. 20 beers on tap and a food truck to supply the grub for the evening (https://www.backdraftpizzeria.com/).
See you soon!
- Games at Rudy's BBQRudy's "Country Store" and Bar-B-Q, Austin, TX
Let's meet at Rudy's BBQ on North 183 and play some games. Rudys has good seating and is quiet. I will bring a few games. Also anybody else is welcome to bring games too. If you can't find me please call or text me at 512-922-2006.
- Improv: Friends For Now at ColdTowne Theater! (The Friend Ship Special Event!)ColdTowne Theater, Austin, TX
Join us as we participate in a f****g friends favorite - Improv: Friends for Now at ColdTowne Theater!
ColdTowne Theater has generously offered a special donation option to The Friend Ship as part of their ticket sales on February 29. Here is how to purchase your tickets and donate to The Friend Ship in 3 easy steps:
- Click this link
- Navigate to the February 29, 2024 show
- Select your tickets and the "Support The Friend Ship" option!
We love community partnerships more than we can say. Thank you, ColdTowne, for supporting our mission of building connectedness through long-lasting and inclusive friendship!
See you there!
The Friend Ship
- F&*cking Hands-on: Let me teach you how to fly fishChisholm Trail Crossing Park, Round Rock, TX
I've been fishing for as long as I can remember. It's a passion of mine and I'm willing to share it with you. It's okay if you have never fished in your life, I just ask that you show up willing and eager to learn.
What is fly fishing? Maybe you saw the movie from back in the 90s, A River Runs Through It. That is fly fishing. Fly fishing uses a lightweight lure—called an artificial fly—to catch fish. Fair warning...It can be very addicting.
You will not be a pro at the end of this session. You will however come away with a solid foundation of knowledge of the sport and have the confidence to get on the water, on your own if you choose to do so.
Together we will cover the following:
- Fishing License and Outdoor Annual app
- Fly rod construction and line setup.
- A lesson in casting. Everyone will be comfortable casting to the point they can "cast to fish."
- Walk the creek to teach you how to read the water and what to look for.
- Proper fish handling, anatomy, and fish identification if a fish is caught.
*Plenty of opportunities to ask questions.
I am an Angler Education Instructor as well as a Fly Fishing Instructor with Texas Parks and Wildlife. The gear and handouts we will be using are provided by TPWD. There is a surprise at the end of class for everyone who attends.
You will need to purchase a fishing license to fish during this class. We will cover this as a part of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Outdoor Annual App, so you can do it onsite the day of the class but would be helpful if you could do it ahead of time. License can be purchased online here, https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/licenses/online_sales/
or you can also purchase them at any Academy Sports or Walmart and various other places. A fishing license is typically purchased for an entire year. You can however purchase a 1-day license for this event.
You can still learn to cast without a license, but I can't let you fish.
As stated above, I will provide all the equipment needed. I'm keeping the limit at 5 for this event so I can be helpful to everyone who attends. If you don't get to sign up, don't worry I will set up other events in the future.
This class will be broken down into 2 different sessions. I will cover why fly fishing is effective, touching on aquatic macroinvertebrates, gear, where to fish, casting instruction and practice. If there is time and people have a license, you can actually do some fishing. If you do want to attempt to fish, I can't promise you'll catch anything. Sometimes that is just fishing.
You're welcome to get into the water, just keep in mind it may be cold. Dress accordingly if you think that will be something you may see yourself doing. The location in which we will be has easy entry into the water. The bottom may be slick from algae, so falling is always a possibility. You don't need to get into the water to fish though. It's just an option.
Because this is an outdoor activity, sunscreen, bug spray, sunglasses, water, etc. Anything you think you may need to be outside for a few hours. There most likely won't be a place to go to the bathroom, so go ahead of time.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask in the comment section or DM me directly. Look forward to seeing everyone on the water.
Limited availability, may be postponed due to weather or water levels.
If you no-call, or no-show in the past, I will be removing you from the RSVP list. This is an event where attendance matters.