Cross-post w/ the El Paso Hiking Meetup (http://www.meetup.com/El-Paso-Hiking/events/133471742/). Details:
• What: early Saturday morning hike
• When: Saturday August 10, 2013
• Meeting time: 6:30 am
• We will meet on Hondo Pass road, carpool to Smugglers Pass on Transmountain Road, then hike the pass area back to the cars.
• Distance: 3 miles
• Hiking time: 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
• Type: off trail
• Difficulty: easy to moderate
• Bring: three liters of water, snacks,
See carpool information below. We will be doing some off-trail exploration, so expect the 3 mi to actually take 2½–3 hours.
DISTANCE is 3–4 mi.
ELEVATION GAIN is is TBA.
FEES: None. Of course, if you carpool, please compensate your driver for gas!
DURATION: Finish by late morning/early afternoon.
PET FRIENDLY? Yes. Bring a muzzle (you shouldn't need be told to bring a proper leash), and if you'd like to unleash, ask others before you do so.
SKILL LEVEL is *NOT* beginner friendly. No whiners!
WEATHER is TBA.
AFTERWARDS is TBA.
MEET for carpool at:
• Las Cruces: 5:30 am, in/outside Milagro Coffee at Pan Am Plaza. Open at 6:30 am on the weekends, the coffee, breakfast burritos, and bagels (fresh on the weekends) are all good here. GPS:[masked]°N,[masked]°W (see on Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/?q=32.287339,-106.745122&z=18), OpenStreetMap (http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=32.287339&mlon=-106.745122&zoom=18), USGS topo map (http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=32.287339,-106.745122&marker0=32.287339,-106.745122&z=18))
• El Paso: 6:30 am, Hondo Pass: From the Patriot Freeway take the Hondo Pass exit and head west toward the mountain. When Hondo Pass road makes a 90 degree turn left, this is where we will park