This Tuesday, we'll have a potluck at 5:45 pm. Around 6:30 pm we'll start a hike up the mountain. Please bring your favorite Christmas, Hanukkah, or <INSERT HOLIDAY HERE> treats!
You can bring libations (beer, wine, etc) but please note that we're doing this on a December evening and people will like something warm. Please add a comment w/ what you are bringing.
Tortugas Mountain (aka "A Mountain", because it has a big "A" on it as seen from NMSU/Interstate 25) is an urban mountain with many, many hiking trails to explore. Every Tuesday evening, I'd like to go out there, pick a random trail when we get there, and get a few miles in during the week.
Afterwards, Baskin Robbins has dollar scoop night—child-size scoops are $1, and full-size scoops $1.50 for all sorbets and ice creams. Make sure to burn enough calories to earn yourself a cone if you decide to join. Location of Baskin Robbins: [masked]°N,[masked]°W (see on Google Maps, OpenStreetMap, USGS topo map).
Directions to the Tortugas Mountain Sunset Parking lot, from Interstate 25:
• Take Interstate 25 exit 1 (University Avenue)
• Go east, towards the mountains.
• You'll pass two traffic light intersections, University Ave and Las Alturas/Don Roser, and University Ave and Telshor. The road curve, turning into Drippings Sands, and then Dripping Springs Road. You'll pass the New Mexico Farm & Ranch Museum on your left. Keep going.
• After about 2 miles, you'll reach the traffic-lighted intersection of Dripping Springs Road and Sonama Ranch Boulevard. At the light, turn right onto the gravel path.
• Stay to the left and follow the gravel path to the Tortugas Mountain Sunset parking lot.
DISTANCE is variable depending on what we decide to do. Please plan between 2 and 6 mi.
ELEVATION GAIN is variable, but it is some 1000 ft to the top of Tortugas Mountain.
FEES: None. Of course, if you carpool, please compensate your driver for gas!
DURATION: variable; we finish when we finish. I aim for getting done by 8:30 pm or earlier.
PET FRIENDLY? Yes. Bring a muzzle (you shouldn't need be told to bring a proper leash).
SKILL LEVEL is variable. If you're a beginner, please come and let us know—we'll pick an easier route!
TERRAIN is loose, steep mountainside. I personally stay on trails but we may go off if people desire something more challenging.
WEATHER is clear, though sometimes it's windy on the top.
AFTERWARDS We may head to a restaurant for libations, but we'll discuss this towards the end of the hike.
• Las Cruces: 6:00 pm at Tortugas Mountain's Sunset Parking lot (see directions above). GPS: [masked]°N,[masked]°W (see on Google Maps, OpenStreetMap, USGS topo map)
• Map of area