Cross-post w/ the El Paso Hikers (http://www.meetup.com/El-Paso-Hiking/events/172830762/). This is a different Slot Canyon than the one done a few weeks ago.
There are 3 options for this hike:
• Hiking only Slot Canyon. This is barely 2 mi, with little elevation gain. This route is pretty beginner friendly.
• Climbing out of the canyon and taking the ridgeline down. This will be some 500 ft gained, and 4 mi.
• Climbing out of the canyon onto the ridgeline, and following it to Robledo Mountain (http://www.summitpost.org/robledo-mountain/261875). It's been on my bucket list for a while, and I have not been there before (consider this route exploratory). Expect to gain 2000 ft, and mileage unknown.
We will need to cross the Rio Grande. While there is no water running in the river, there are (large) puddles that we may not be able to avoid. Please have water-resistant shoes or water slippers just in case.
DISTANCE is See above.
ELEVATION GAIN is See above.
FEES: None. Of course, if you carpool, please compensate your driver for gas!
DURATION: Finish by early to mid afternoon.
PET FRIENDLY? Yes. Bring a muzzle (you shouldn't need be told to bring a proper leash), and if you'd like to unleash, ask others before you do so.
SKILL LEVEL is *NOT* beginner friendly. No whiners!
TERRAIN is sandy river bed, followed by narrow-walled canyon. There is loose rock everywhere.
WEATHER is TBA.
AFTERWARDS we may get lunch somewhere.
MEET for carpool at:
• Las Cruces: 8:00 am, K-Mart parking lot on North Main/US 70 and Del Rey, near Shell. GPS:[masked]°N,[masked]°W (see on Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/?q=32.35083,-106.76538&z=18), OpenStreetMap (http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=32.35083&mlon=-106.76538&zoom=18), USGS topo map (http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=32.35083,-106.76538&marker0=32.35083,-106.76538&z=18)).
• El Paso: 7:45 am, I-10 and Redd Road Kohl's, in the south end of the parking lot near Starbucks. GPS:[masked]°N,[masked]°W (see on Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/?q=31.865651,-106.576615&z=18), OpenStreetMap (http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=31.865651&mlon=-106.576615&zoom=18), USGS topo map (http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=31.865651,-106.576615&marker0=31.865651,-106.576615&z=18)). Note: your host is not meeting here, please self-organize!