You knew it was coming! Totally different from last year—I'm SICK of driving (that really, REALLY didn't work out last year) so we will be simply just heading to Colorado for a week.
Events will include:
• 2 day backpacking trip along the Lost Man Trail (http://hikingwalking.com/destinations/co/co_cent/aspen/lost_man) in the Aspen area, all of which above 10k ft to help acclimate everyone to the elevation so people don't get sick. Tentative trip is the Lost Man Trail loop is 9 mi.
• Mount Elbert via the Black Cloud Trail (i.e. the "hard way"—it's the steepest route up and keeps you above 13k ft (brain damage territory) for an extended period of time). Depending on turn-out we may split up into a "14'er beginners" group that will take an easier route up.
• Mount Massive. I'd like to see how many of the sub-peaks we can bag.
• Whatever other 14k ft peak in the area we have time for. Princeton or Harvard look to be good candidates.
Here's a day-by-day itinerary:
Jun 27 (Sat): Drive to Taos
Leave Las Cruces by 9a. Lunch in Albuquerque. Supply stop at Sams/Costco. Pickup folks from Albuquerque. Leave ABQ by 2 pm. Arrive in Taos Ski Valley by 5 pm.
Setup camp at either Taos Sky Valley (free) or backpack to Williams Lake (2 mi).
• GPS coords of Taos Ski Valley CG and Williams Lake
Jun 28 (Sun): Drive to CO, start backpacking trip
Drive to Leadville/Aspen to Lost Man Trail. Drop cars off at eastern terminus, start backpacking trip at western terminus. Camp at Lost Man Reservoir somewhere.
Leave Williams Lake by 7 am. Leave Taos Ski Valley by 9 am. Drive 250 mi to Lost Man Trail (5h).
Lunch break in Buena Vista at Eddyline Brewery (same as last year).
Get to Lost Man Trailhead by 4 pm, setup camp by 6 pm.
• GPS coords of Lost Man Trail East, Lost Man Trail West. Alternate parking for extra vehicles.
Jun 29 (Mon): Relax, backpack. Get used to elevation
Backpack to Lost Man Lake. Day-hike (no backpack) peaks near trail (e.g. Geissler Mountain, Twinning Peak).
Backpacking meal day.
GPS coords for Lost Man Lake
Jun 30 (Tue)" Hike out of Lost Man Trail area, re-supply, find base campsite for the rest of the week.
Backpack to eastern terminus of Lost Man Trail. Go to Aspen for supplies. Go find new campsite in Half Moon Creek area.
If extra time, hot springs if time at the end of the day?
• GPS coords for City Market, grocery stores in Aspen
Jul 1 (Wed): Hike 1st 14'er. Day hike
14'er in the area
Mt Princeton: 13.25 mi, 5500 ft
Hot springs at end of day while driving back to camp?
Jul 2 (Thu): Mount Massive, go back to camp
Mount Massive via HMCT
Jul 3 (Fri): Relaxation and re-supply day
Hike along Continental Divide Trail, hot springs, drive to Aspen, Leadville, or Buena Vista for resupply.
Jul 4 (Sat)" Mount Elbert, go back to camp
Mount Elbert via Black Cloud Trail (round-trip?)
Take BCT up, Half-Moon Creek/Northeast ridge down? Need to coordinate cars
Jul 5 (Sun): Drive back.
Drive back from CO to Albuquerque/Las Cruces.
Gear must fit into backpack and 1 plastic bin (18 gallon or smaller). DON'T bring luggage, and stuff stuff that does not fit in the bin! Please bring:
• Light-weight fleece (will get chilly at night)
• Rain gear
• Swim gear for hot springs
• More (TBD)
• FRS radio
• More (TBD)
Missing from the above description (todo):
• Find locations and GPS coordinates of places mention
• Find locations and prices of nearby hot springs
• Figure out which days you need backpacking meal, camping cook out meal, or able to go to restaurant