Visit the most scientifically significant Early Permian track sites in the world located in the Robledo Mountains near Las Cruces. The trackways contain footprints of numerous amphibians, reptiles and insects (including previously unknown species), plants, and petrified wood dating back 280 million years, which collectively provide new opportunities to understand animal behaviors and environments from a time predating dinosaurs.
Directions to trailhead:
1. Go north on Interstate 25
2. Take Doña Ana exit 9.
3. Head west on NM 320 for 2 miles until you reach NM 185.
4. Turn right on NM 185 and head north for ½ mile to Shalem Colony Road.
5. Turn left onto Shalem Colony Road and head west to Rocky Acres Road.
6. Turn right onto Rocky Acres Road.
7. After ¼ mile, turn left onto Permian Trackways Road and continue to parking lot.
DISTANCE is 3 mi.
ELEVATION GAIN is negligible, though there is some up and down.
FEES: None. Of course, if you carpool, please compensate your driver for gas!
DURATION: Finish by late morning/early afternoon.
PET FRIENDLY? Yes.
SKILL LEVEL is reasonably beginner friendly,
TERRAIN is low desert, mostly on maintained trail. Sand, loose rocks and boulders, etc.
WEATHER is Sunny.
AFTERWARDS is lunch somewhere?
MEET for carpool at:
• Las Cruces: 8:00 am, in/outside Milagro Coffee at Pan Am Plaza. Open at 6:30 am on the weekends, the coffee, breakfast burritos, and bagels (fresh on the weekends) are all good here. GPS:[masked]°N,[masked]°W (see on Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/?q=32.287339,-106.745122&z=18), OpenStreetMap (http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=32.287339&mlon=-106.745122&zoom=18), USGS topo map (http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=32.287339,-106.745122&marker0=32.287339,-106.745122&z=18))
• Trailhead at Prehistoric Trackways National Monument: 8:30 am, GPS:[masked]°N,[masked]°W (see on Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/?q=32.37336,-106.86676&z=18), OpenStreetMap (http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=32.37336&mlon=-106.86676&zoom=18), USGS topo map (http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=32.37336,-106.86676&marker0=32.37336,-106.86676&z=18)). If you do not know how to get here, please meet at Milagro Coffee and follow/carpool.
• After the hike we will go to museum on main street, then go to lunch afterwards
• Bring you children