(For hikers who came on the Rabbit Ears hike, this challenge is comparable, but with less nasty brush and an easier climb).
Meet at Kmart Parking Lot 8:25. Head out to trail head 8:30 sharp.
1. Get set at La Cueva trailhead and pay fees. $5.00 per car.
2. Hike past La Cueva and Fillmore Canyon to Juniper Saddle. (We can check out the cave fast if anyone is interested.)
3. Take a short water break at Yellow Rock.
4. Snack break at Juniper then up the trail to Dark Canyon
5. Scramble up a short rock face past to the Needle summit. (easy class 4 with good hand and footholds.)
6. Hike back the same way down. -------->
(If anyone else is equipped to rappel down, I'll be rigging and leaving an anchor.) Otherwise it's a short easy downclimb.
It's always the hikers choice to do what they are comfortable with.
We will take some nice water breaks to soak up the views, and enjoy the peace of the mountains. We will also take a long lunch break on the summit.
Time: 10 hrs.
Equipment: Good hiking shoes, boots or trail runners. Please no casual athletic type shoes unless you're really sure of em'. It wastes lots of precious time picking out stickers and making duct tape repairs. Seen it happen, but I won't mention any names, wink wink. Also for your safety, pack a good rain/wind jacket and proper insulating gear. Remember, it's still winter, and it can get cold, windy, and wet up in the mountains. No cotton if you can because the sweat takes to long to dry and it will chill you to the bone. Headlamps are always good to have in wintertime too.
( I'm bringing two radios, plus a rap rope, slings, biners and my harness). Rope is 30m at 8.5mm.
Doggies: This is not a dog friendly hike.