OK Everybody -- Most of you know me and know that I want to hike during the week -- so here it is......
The La Llorona trail is a flat, mostly paved trail along the Rio Grande. The portion we'll be hiking starts at Calle de Norte in Mesilla, and goes up to the end of the Triviz–La Llorona connector trail (the one that follows Alameda Arroyo), which I have hiked a good portion recently.
This trail is completely flat (i.e. easy) but is a good work out at a nice brisk pace, and definitely will be if we do the distance.
Please bring a flashlight. We try not to use them, but there may be some circumstances where they are needed.
If you don't plan on meeting at The Bean: Directions to the trail head (assuming you're coming from Interstate 10):
1. Take Interstate 10 exit (Avenida de Mesilla), and turn south, heading towards Mesilla
2. When you enter Mesilla, you'll hit it's first street light, an intersection with Calle de Norte.
3. Take a right (heading west) on Calle de Norte, and drive for about 2 miles.
4. About 2 miles is the Rio Grande; BEFORE crossing the Rio Grande, you need to turn right onto a Rio Grande levee. There is a stop sign here.
5. As you drive about 100 ft along the levee, the road will go down the levee to the left (towards the Rio Grande).
6. At the bottom of the levee, do a u-turn and drive back towards Calle de Norte (opposite the direction you were driving on the levee) for 30 or so feet.
7. To your right, you'll see another road heading to the trailhead's parking lot.
Please see the map, particularly the satellite imagery on Google Maps (zoom in! at low zoom levels, the satellite image is out-of-date!), below to orient yourselves! Unfortunately there are not really signs, and it's difficult to see things in the dark. We'll try to have someone idling at the levee to direct people towards the trailhead.
DISTANCE: ~9.17 mi, out and back. We can make this hike as short or long as we like -- we will poll the group as we go along.
ELEVATION GAIN: essentially zero, but it's after a long day of work so "it's OK".
FEES: None. Of course, if you carpool, please compensate your driver for gas!
DURATION: 2–3 hours. Should finish by 9:00–9:30 pm.
PET FRIENDLY? Yes. Bring a muzzle (you shouldn't need be told to bring a proper leash), and if you'd like to unleash, ask others before you do so.
SKILL LEVEL: unbelievably beginner friendly. If you like, please feel free to find a way to make it more difficult (weights, etc).
TERRAIN: paved asphalt trail as well as a sections of gravel-bed trail.
WEATHER TBD. See the NWS report for the trailhead. (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-106.82597&lat=32.26535)
AFTERWARDS: it's typically too late to do anything, but we may head over to De Le Vegas for their $2.50 pint night.
• 5:45 pm, The Bean in Mesilla. If you explicitly know where the trailhead is, please meet here and we'll caravan over.
• 6:00 pm, La Llorona trailhead at Calle de Norte. See directions above; GPS:[masked]°N,[masked]°W (http://www.meetup.com/las-cruces-hiking/events/101016952/geo:32.26535,-106.82597) (see on Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/?q=32.26535,-106.82597&z=18), OpenStreetMap (http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=32.26535&mlon=-106.82597&zoom=18), USGS topo map (http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=32.26535,-106.82597&marker0=32.26535,-106.82597&z=18))
• GPS track (http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=oiefeegepzwyalkn)