This is considered a moderate/strenuous hike @13,000 ft alt, 8 miles one way. Be aware of possible alt sickness. We leave Las Cruces Friday noon. Car camp at Taos ski area for Fri night. Saturday am backpack to Wheeler Peak via trail #90 (Bull of the woods pasture), come down to camp at Williams Lake (horse shoe lake)@ ~12,000 ft. alt. Sunday up early, hike down and drive home.
DIRECTIONS to Twinings Campground from Albuquerque:
1. Head north on Interstate 25.
2. BEFORE you reach Santa Fe, take exit 276 and get onto Veterans Memorial Highway (NM 599), aka the Santa Fe Relief Route. This highway bypasses Santa Fe.
3. When NM 599 ends a bit north of Santa Fe, take US 84/US 285 north.
4. In Espanola, New Mexico, do NOT follow US 84/US 285, and take NM 68 north, which will take you into downtown Taos.
5. Once in downtown Taos, NM 68 will end and turn into US 64. Follow US 64 north out of Taos.
6. North of Taos, you'll meet an intersection with a traffic signal where US 64 turns and goes west, while an NM 150 goes north/northeast up to Taos Ski Valley. Take NM 150.
7. Follow NM 150 to Taos Ski Valley.
8. Once you've entered Taos Ski Valley (if you go into town (very small, narrow streets), or go past, you've gone too far!), look for a road going up an incline to the left where you'll see many RVs parked, and look for signage for the Twining Campground.
9. If the campground is full, you can camp (for free) along the river that parallels NM 150 as it comes up to Taos Ski Valley.
GPS coordinates to campground:[masked]°N,[masked]°W (see on Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/?q=36.5966,-105.4497&z=18), OpenStreetMap (http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=36.5966&mlon=-105.4497&zoom=18), USGS topo map (http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=36.5966,-105.4497&marker0=36.5966,-105.4497&z=18)). Click the "Google Maps" link on your mobile to get directions.
RADIOS: Please use FRS channel 6, privacy code 16. If your radio cannot do privacy codes please leave a comment.