This is where the chile challange used to hold there rally this is off trail, long pants recommended we will hunt for shell fossils that are in the area there is some bouldering.
Directions to trailhead:
1. Go north on Interstate 25
2. Take Doña Ana exit 9.
3. Head west on NM 320 for 2 miles until you reach NM 185.
4. Turn right on NM 185 and head north for ½ mile to Shalem Colony Road.
5. Turn left onto Shalem Colony Road and head west to Rocky Acres Road.
6. Turn right onto Rocky Acres Road.
7. After ¼ mile, turn left onto Permian Trackways Road and continue to parking lot.
DISTANCE is 3 mi. or more
ELEVATION GAIN there is some, though there is some up and down.
FEES: None. Of course, if you carpool, please compensate your driver for gas!
DURATION: Finish by late morning/early afternoon.
PET FRIENDLY? Yes.
SKILL LEVEL moderate
TERRAIN is low desert,. Sand, loose rocks and boulders, cactus etc.
AFTERWARDS lunch somewhere