What we’re about
Our Meetup Group:
This is a group for anyone wishing to learn Mandarin. We aim to provide a friendly community for anyone learning or wishing to learn Mandarin Chinese. We welcome people of all levels from beginner to native speaker. To be a member of this group, you need to have a profile photo in which you are recognizable as you. This helps people recognize each other at meetups. This is required as of January 2022. Also, please join the group in your personal capacity, not as a company or organization.
We run small groups for beginners and intermediate learners so they can build up their Mandarin language skills in a friendly, constructive environment. Advanced learners can practice with each other and help beginners. Once or twice a month we will have social and reading meetups for learners of all levels, held online on Zoom, or offline in a venue likely to be in London.
Please note that in our Zoom meetings, participants are encouraged to use the Zoom chat window to write down words and expressions to help each other learn. No participant has the right to restrict how and when another participant uses the chat window. The host has overall responsibility for how the meetup is conducted. Where there is anti-social behaviour, such should be reported to the host.
If you sign up for an event, please show up. If you have a schedule change and can't make it, please change your RSVP to "Not going". All no-shows in all meetups in 2022 have been marked as such, so the attendee lists all reflect actual attendance.
The Study Groups for beginners and intermediate learners and the Advanced Learners Reading Meetup will be on summer break until early September.
London Mandarin Learners Pages (Google Sheets)
Screenshots of all LML Pages (Google Docs)
London Mandarin Learners Message Board
Event Notes - 2022
List of links to Reading Text - 2022
List of Chinese English Language Exchange and Learning meetup groups in the UK and North America
Upcoming events (1)See all
- Mandarin English Conversation Practice - Saturday Afternoon OnlineLink visible for attendees
Mandarin Learners, let's get together online for an afternoon of Mandarin conversation practice for all levels. When we run out of vocabulary, we continue to chat in English, but we write down the words we want to learn how to say in Chinese, and we ask our Mandarin speaking friends to help.
To get an idea of the sort of topics and vocabulary we cover in our online converation practice meetups, please have a look at our Event Notes page. Best viewed with a web browser on a computer.
Start time: 3:00 PM London time (Saturday, December 16th, 2023)
Zoom meeting room will open at 2:50 PM
RSVPs close at 2:00 PM
3:00 PM - Introductions in Mandarin and English, Housekeeping announcements
3:30 PM - Topic of the day in breakout rooms
- Participants will be asked to suggest a topic. We'll vote to decide.
- Mandarin only rooms for intermediate and advanced Mandarin speakers
- Mandarin English mixed conversation rooms for language exchange
- Zoom session will be set up to allow participants to move between rooms and take part in different conversations
- 30-40 minutes per session.
5:00 PM - End. Anyone who wants to chat in English can stay on for another half an hour.
Leaving before the end
Participants can leave any time they like. The main thing is for everyone to try and take part in the Mandarin conversation, and make an effort to express themselves and communicate with others in Mandarin.
If you sign up for an event, please show up. If you have a schedule change and can't make it, please change your RSVP to "Not going". No-shows will be marked as such, so that attendee lists can accurately reflect attendance.
Participants will be asked to turn on their webcams so we can interact with each other just like we're in a face to face meetup.
Who should take part in this event?
- Intermediate learners.
- Beginners who would like to try something more difficult.
- Advanced learners who would like to help other learners.
- Native speakers of Mandarin with good command of English who would like to help.
- A computer with Zoom installed.
- A reliable internet connection.
- A working webcam.
- Web browser such as Chrome, Firefox, Safari.
- A Gmail account for sharing Google sheets and docs.
Zoom link and password:
Please do not post Zoom login information on social media or on public pages of the Meetup website.
Before logging in, please read the following page:
*** No participant has the right to restrict how and when another participant uses the chat window. The host has overall control over how the meetup is conducted.*
- Zoom recording by participants is disabled and is not permitted throughout the course of the meetup session. If for some reason part of the session needs to be recorded, this will be done by the host, and participants will be given forewarning.
- Taking photos and videos of participants and posting them online without permission is not allowed.