Hike Level: Advanced Beginner and up
Time: 5 PM
Distance: 6 miles round trip
Elevation Gain: 800 ft
Hike Time: 3 hours plus party another hour
Trail Condition: Fire road/pavement
HikeType: Out and Back
Hike Leaders: Lee Zebold and Chef Massimo (aka "Mojito Mas")
Theme: Wine/Party Hike
Summary: This is a great hike from the Trippet Ranch in Topanga State Park to the Parker Mesa Overlook. The first section of the trail meanders through a lovely oak grove with lush green grass. Above Trippet Ranch, the trail traverses the ridgeline between Topanga and Santa Ynez Canyons, with views of giant sandstone slabs and the ocean peaking out between the folds of the mountains.
Let's go climb a mountain in the middle of the dark with a bottle of wine and a sandwich! What a great idea, right? :)
Please have a sense of humor, we'll tie you to a tree and throw leftover desserts from Sunday's potluck at you!!
** Note ** This is a multi meetup event, and is being cross posted with other groups age 20's - late 50's give or take, so you never know who you might meet.
The Plan: Leisurely pace, take it slow and hike up to Parker Mesa Overlook. This is an advanced beginner level hike on a very wide dirt road, about 3 miles each way with an 800 foot elevation gain.
Where & When: Meet from 5:00-5:10 PM at the picnic tables in the Park. We hit the trail at 5:15pm sharp! You park on the road outside the Park, and walk in. It is about 1/8 mile to get to the Picnic Tables located next to the "Pay for" State Parking Lot - But remember you are NOT going to park your car there."\
20825 Entrada Road
(See Note for alternate address below)
If you're prone to getting lost, please use http://www.maps.yahoo.com (http://www.maps.yahoo.com/) only! Mapquest will lead you down the wrong street! There is also a Google Map at the top of this page.
Food & Suggested items: water, bottle of wine, fruit, cheese & crackers and a sandwich.
You'll need: a towel to sit on, cup, plate, fork & knife, and at least ONE trashbag per person.
This is a wine hike, so if you choose to bring a bottle, drink responsibly and sober up before we head back to the cars. I'll take your car keys and call you a cab otherwise. No jerks, pervs or obnoxious drunks allowed!
If you attend, your mood should be:
- Happy to be there!
- Social (get involved in conversation, don't just be a fly on the wall)
- Have a sense of humor. We're a fun group!!
- Outgoing, friendly and full of chutzpah!
NOTE: Alternate Address - You can also hook up with the Santa Monica Hiking Club who is also going to Parker Mesa. They are meeting at Los Liones Trail a little south of where we are meeting if it is more convenient for you. That John Guy is leading the Santa Monica Group, and you can go with him if you wish. To get directions for Los Liones go to their website at:
NOTE 2: Los Liones is a more difficult trail...it is not an Advanced Beginner level...it is Intermediate Level.
Here is Google Map of Both Locations...Parking included
From the Ventura Freeway (101), exit at Topanga Canyon Boulevard, drive south over the crest of the mountains and proceed three miles to Entrada Road (not Entrado!) and turn left. Keep to the left at every opportunity until you reach the park's main parking lot (about one mile)
From Pacific Coast Highway, travel north on Topanga Canyon Boulevard, pass the post office at the center of "town," then turn right on Entrada Road. Keep to the left at every opportunity until you reach the park's main parking lot (about one mile).
Parking: Parking is free on the surrounding side streets BEFORE the entrance to the park. Do NOT park in the parking lot because it closes at sunset, and your car will be ticketed.
After you park, walk past the guard shack and turn to the right down the little ramp towards the bathrooms. I will be at the picnic tables next to the bathroom from 5:00 - 5:15.
WARNING: They are giving tickets along the road if your tires are not totally OFF PAVEMENT
Dogs NOT ALLOWED - This is a State Park
This is where the guardshack is... http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=h&lat=[masked]&lon=[masked]&zoom=18
This is where the bathrooms are... http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=h&lat=[masked]&lon=[masked]&zoom=19
Lee Zebold - Hike Leaders
Massimo aka Tortellini
PLEASE HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR WHEN READING BELOW:
Smartass questions you might have, and my equally smart answers:
1. "Are dogs allowed?" NO!! There are no dogs allowed in the park. Even so, do you really want to bring a dog on a hike with over 100 people walking around you and your pet?
2. "I don't wanna schlep/drive more than 5 miles from my house in Van Nuys for anything." DON'T frigg'n come then! Stay home! Go take a hike up to your 2nd floor balcony instead.
3. "Who else is coming, because I won't go if there's no one there my age?" This is posted on 28 other groups ages 20's - 50's. The odds of you having someone to talk about your WWII war stories is highly unlikely, but Barney and the Powerpuff Girls might make an appearance... if you finish all your homework and brussel sprouts.
4. "Can I be a maybe for now, because I'm:
A. a wannabe actor who only comes to events where I can meet a casting director to star me in their next big movie.
B. a lifecoach who's looking for clients but REALLY waiting for this one girl to call me back so I can go to this thing on the westside where I can hit on more girls after my date realizes I'm a shovanistic pig and pick up artist.
C. waiting for this hot guy to ask me out who's NOT ONLY putting a downpayment on a 10,000 square foot house in beverly hills, but his ferrari's in the shop and driving a 1982 datsun in the meantime, has a picture of the supermodels he's dated on his cell phone camera (even though the photos came right off Vogue's website), sports the fake tan, AND is living at home with his mom."
NO!! Show up, come hang with US because you want to hang with US, quit being a sourpuss, and have fun... with US!
5. "Are there any hot chics coming?" YES! This is duck mating season, so the chances of seeing a flock of geese and 10 warm fuzzy newborn chics looking for bread crumbs is highly likely! AND please see #3 followed by 4.b !
6. "I'm not into hiking, and I don't want to walk with strangers up a hill at night." STAY HOME!!! Lock your doors! The sky IS falling! God forbid you should happen to meet someone and make a new friend.
7. "Is there a hospital nearby, because alcohol makes me allergic." Yes, about 3 hours down the hill there is a hospital. I have rabbies though, so the likelyhood of me giving you mouth to mouth is slim to none. I'll feed you to the coyotes if you die on the top of the mountain, and then we can all come back year after year to have a memorial hike in your honor. Happy? This is a WINE HIKE... hello!!
8. "Do I need any special gear to do this hike, because I have a hip replacement and I can't climb anything or go over any large rocks or boulders?" Not really, but you might want to have your eyes checked for not reading the part in the beginning saying that this is "a beginner level hike on a very wide dirt road."
9. "What if it rains?" WE HIKE and you bring an umbrella.
10. "What if it's hot?" WE HIKE and you wear shorts.
11. "What if there's radiation from Japan?" WE HIKE and you glow in the dark.
12. "What if I stop asking lame questions?" MASSIMO is a VERY Happy man!!!!!