What we're about
This group is for members and visitors to Makespace, a community workshop in Cambridge, UK. The meetups are organised by community members both in the space and elsewhere in Cambridge.
To tweak your email preferences for the group, please go to https://meetup.meetup.makespace.org/settings/
We would love to meet:
* Community members, enthusiasts, and educational groups who could benefit from a lab in which to work together, network, socialise, and draw on the expertise of others
* People working within local industries looking to innovate in ways that require new skills, equipment and contacts
* Companies and consultancies that support innovation and prototyping, and who could provide training, support, leading to the sale of their services
* Innovators needing to produce physical prototypes to further their ideas
If this could include you, please help us maintain and grow Makespace by joining now, telling us:
* Who you are, and any company/group affiliation
* What you could contribute to and/or how you could benefit from Makespace
* Any other ideas, requirements or suggestions to improve Makespace
For discussions about the space and making in general, see http://groups.google.com/group/cammakespace
For more on Makespace, see http://makespace.org
Upcoming events (4+)
Make the Space combines the big clean, maintenance tasks and a few internal projects like the current redoing the entrance hallway. Its shows a great cultural side of Makespace. Members (and their children & guests) improving & growing the space for others.
We have a list of Larger tasks: Painting, taking down the big hanging decoration, putting up white boards and sealing the flower beds.
A list of maintenance tasks: Changing the filters, swapping CNC water, cleaning laser cutter vent pipes & more.
Basic upkeep: Sweeping, vac & mop. Packing away all the little bits and pieces lazy people do not put back.
We usually start around 10ish, the list of tasks is written on the whiteboard in the main space. We have a tea and biscuit break at 11:30ish and then work till 12:45 or so when we begin to pack away.
Make the Space days also represent a part of Makespace's history as well as its culture. From 2012 onwards there have been days and evenings when Members new and old alike came in to work on Makespace. Before there were laser cutters & 3D printers, members would meet to work on the space. - Thank you all who turned up! :-)
Can't make it for the entire event? no worries, even an hour can really help - thanks.
- Lucian S.
- Angkana TzuYun H.
- 9 attendees
This is an induction into the use of the Wood Lathe
You will need to use a dust mask and eye protection. If needed we can disinfect one of the pairs of goggles at MS but you need to bring your own personal mask - at least to PP2 standard. If you have not got one then let me know and I can bring a new spare one from home.
If you have a particular project in mind then let me know but one possibility for the session is a kitchen roll holder as that requires both spindle and faceplate turning and is fairly easy to complete the actual turning in a short time and you can apply finish later. It does not really matter what you make as long as we can cover all the essentials of the training needed. You don't need to supply any wood.
This the final step in becoming qualified to use the Wood lathe and Easywood tools in Makespace. You need to have completed the on-line training successfully. Please pay £2.50 into iZettle
Q: Can I sign up for this before my keyfob has been activated, working and tested by me?
Q. Can I be late?
Q. I can't make...
A: Cancel here on meetup so that someone else can have your slot.
You'll have to have a fully activated fully working Makespace keyfob.
- James T.
- 2 attendees
THIS EVENT IS NOW FULL, PLEASE PUT YOUR NAME DOWN FOR THE NEXT INDUCTION.
PLEASE READ and Complete ALL REQUIREMENTS BEFORE SIGNING UP
Join the wait list and the inductor will admit you to the induction after confirming you have attend a 'See the Space' tour**.** Do not attend if you have not been admitted.
PLEASE DO NOT ARRIVE LATE. We will not admit you after 2PM
You are welcome to arrive early and chat with us.
You cannot be Inducted if you have not:
- Attended a ‘See the Space’ tour : http://www.meetup.com/Makespace/events/. You will be given code at after the tour.
- Joined the wait list with the code given at the See the Space
3. Ensured that you have your Google email account credentials and two factor authentication ready. You will use our computers to complete your induction on a Google form.
- Made your payment here https://makespace.recurly.com/subscribe/makespace-membership-full
5. Brought 2 forms of ID one from each list:
Government issued photo IDs : -Current, valid full passport,photo-card driving licence, Armed Forces ID Card, Residence permit showing your full name and current address.
Address verification: Household utility bill,Bank, building society or credit card statement, Local authority tax bill, HM Revenue & Customs tax document
- Your own computer or mobile phone cannot be used for the induction
- After the induction (which take a little over 2 hours) you will be a full member of Makespace. Your key-fob will be enabled, giving you 24-hour access.
- If you cannot make your induction, please cancel well in advance, cancelling late means that others do not have time to get to the induction.
- If you have problems signing up or have any questions about the induction or about membership more generally, please e-mail membership (at) makespace (dot) org.
PLEASE DO NOT ARRIVE LATE. We will not admit after 2PM
We look forward to seeing you at Makespace.
- Alaric W.
- Edward B.
- Ernest A.
- 7 attendees
Join the wait list and the trainer will admit you to the training if there is room and you have completed the online Laser Cutter course.
This the final step in becoming qualified to use the Laser cutters in Makespace.
RSVP for this only if you have completed the online training.
Be at the laser cutters before 5:30pm
Please review the laser cutter operations before you attend. During the training you will be expected to show you can operate the equipment safely and effectively.
This training is for fully inducted Makespace Members who have completed the online laser cutter training course.
- Jonathan W.
- 1 attendee
Past events (4,697)
- Bruce S.
- 1 attendee