What we're about
Upcoming events (5)
The goal of Office hours is growing businesses. The immediate objective is to gather people running, or thinking about starting, businesses in order to share best practice for exploring market potentials, planning, managing, developing, producing and selling product. The idea is to learn from each other in informal discussions, perhaps to float a few ideas, a strategy, or test some assumptions.
The format will be open, flexible and very practical. The best way to learn is from experience. Hearing how others worked through problems will allow you to learn from their experience, and they from you. Might save you from making the same missteps. It is not meant only as a one-to-one discussion. It works best when several people, each at a different point in the grow of their company, contribute with questions, information, and stories.
We will continue the challenge format in which we seek to solve any business problem in about 30 min. Please do let me know, in the comments below, if you want to present a challenge. All are welcome.
PLEASE READ BEFORE SIGNING UP, in the past we have had to turn prospective members away because they have not read this invitation in detail, you must follow the checklist:
* Attend ‘See the Space’ and get a unique code, see note 1
* Sign up on Meetup, see note 2
* Ensure that you have access to your webmail account, see note 3
* If you don’t have a Google account create one, see note 4
* On the morning of your induction make your first payment, see note 5
* Bring 2 forms of documentation as detailed below see note 6
* Please remember to bring your mask
PLEASE DO NOT ARRIVE LATE
If you fail to follow the requirements listed above you may be turned away from the induction.
1. YOU MUST FIRST visit the space, by coming to a 'See the Space' event - these happen every week and can be found at (https://www.meetup.com/Makespace/events/). If you have not attended a See the Space you will not be inducted. You will be given a unique code to enter in the induction page on Meetup
2. Once you have visited the space and would like to become a member, only then can you sign up for this induction. On signing up you will be asked for the unique code
3. Ensure that you have access to your webmail from our computers, if you use two factor authentication you can use our Wi Fi, bring along your log-in credentials
4. You require a Google account to run our induction software and to access Google Groups, so if you dont have one, please set this up and bring along your log-in credentials
5. On the morning prior to attending Induction. set up a regular membership payment by visiting:
Ensure that the receipt goes to the webmail account you will be using at induction as you will have to upload it to enable your membership
6. At the induction you must bring two types of ID
1. Any of the listed Government issued photo IDs
-Current, valid full passport (certified copies must show nationality, place and date of birth, passport number, expiry date, photograph and signature)
-Current, valid full UK photo-card driving licence with signature or ‘old style’
-Current, valid UK photo-card provisional licence
-Armed Forces ID Card
-Residence permit showing your full name and current address. This is issued by the Home Office to non-EU Nationals on sight of your own country’s passport
2. Any of the listed documents for address verification
-Household utility bill (e.g. gas, electric, water or fixed line telephone but not a mobile phone bill). It must be no more than three months old and show your name and current address
-Bank, building society or credit card statement. It must be no more than three months old and show your name and current address
-Local authority tax bill (e.g. council tax) valid for the current year
-Local authority rent book
-HM Revenue & Customs (Inland Revenue) tax document e.g. tax assessment, statement of account, notice of coding. It must contain your full name and current address. P45s and P60s are not acceptable
-Original notification letter from the relevant benefits agency confirming the right to benefits or state pension
Your own computer or mobile phone cannot be used.
After the induction (which take a little over 2 hours) you will be a full member of Makespace. Your key-fob will be enabled, giving you 24-hour access.
If the next induction is full you can look on the calendar
for another one - if none are shown, then more will be scheduled soon!
If you cannot make your induction, please cancel well in advance, cancelling late means that others do not have time to get to the induction.
If you have problems signing up or have any questions about the induction or about membership more generally, please e-mail membership (at) makespace (dot) org.
And finally, please don’t be late it holds up all the attendees which is not fair to those who have arrived on time.
We look forward to seeing you at Makespace.
*IMPORTANT, TAKE ACTION: once you RSVP, please email [masked] to get a COVID-19 declaration form. If you do not fill one of these out in advance, you will not be able to attend the tour.**
Max 2 attendees per tour for distancing.
Are you interested in joining Makespace and getting involved in an interdisciplinary research project, meeting like minded people, or finding out about engineering with biology? BioMakespace is for you!
Located in the historic Laboratory of Molecular Biology near Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge, BioMakespace is the biology lab for Makespace and has three spaces totalling just over 50sqm where it is possible to perform wetlab experiments, rapid prototyping, electronics and dry lab work.
This tour is the first step to becoming a member of Cambridge Makespace and a BioMakespace lab user, or just a great opportunity to have a look around and see more.
Check out the website for more details: https://biomake.space/
Membership information can be found here: https://biomake.space/membership
To find us:
Ring the Biomakespace bell at the Clifford Allbutt Building front entrance (up the steps to the left of the raised lecture theatre). The building is visible from the Addenbrooke's roundabout by the bus station.
This the final step in becoming qualified to use the Laser cutters in Makespace. RSVP for this only if you have completed the online training. We will meet at the laser cutters at 5pm promptly.
Join the wait list and the trainer will admit you to the training.
Please review the laser cutter operations before you attend. During the training you will be expected to show you can operate the equipment safely and effectively.
Masks and social distancing are required at all times in Makespace.
Note: members using the laser cutters for projects have priority on one cutter. In case of one of the cutters being used we will work in serial on the one dedicated to training for the hour. Please be on time and prepared to operate the laser cutters.
This training is for fully inducted Makespace Members who have completed the online laser cutter training course.