What we're about
Upcoming events (1)
Meet 9.30am at Macclesfield Bus Station.
9.50am Bus (60A) to Whaley Bridge.
Hike down the Goyt valley to the reservoirs, up to the Cat and Fiddle, down into Wildbourclough and over Shutters into Macc forest - ending at the Leather Smithy.
Screen shot of route/elevation can be found in photos.
The walk is entirely free of charge;
• You only arrange for your own travel and pub expenses;
• Understand our terms and conditions below (the "IMPORTANT" part);
• Understand how to stay safe outdoors, as you will be responsible for yourself. The walk distances can be up to approx 17 miles and we can be out for as long as 5-7hrs. We usually stop for a packed lunch and pop in to a country pub for a mid-hike drink. Can have a social post walk drink in Macc too.
What to bring
• Plenty of water, 1-2 litres recommended
• Enough snacks and packed lunch to keep you energized along the walk
• Extra snacks and an extra packed lunch just in case
• Rainproof (ideally waterproof) clothing, sturdy shoes/boots you don't mind getting muddy
• Walking poles (optional)
• Cash and card in case you need to stop and get taxi, bus or train ticket
• Cash and card for pub at the end of the walk
Feel free to ask any questions in the comments section!
IMPORTANT Please bear in mind this is a free of charge, self-guided trip with a hobby group. It is not organized by a business nor any entity with commercial purposes. Any trip details, travel advice, route planning, instructions and other content in our group merely represent our shared personal knowledge, research and suggestions as outdoor enthusiasts. As this is no business, there is no "product", "service" or "package" and also no "tour guide", "operator" or "walk leader". Each participant is responsible for their own safety. Even if some of us are very experienced walking outdoors, nobody assumes responsibility for any kind of injury, damage or loss that may happen. Our experienced members volunteer their time and effort to shape a pleasant and quality adventure for everyone. By participating you acknowledge and agree with this disclaimer.
Here’s some safety tips for exploring the outdoors: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/top-10-safety-tips-for-exploring-the-outdoors
TRAVEL, ACCOMMODATION, INSURANCE Although we provide suggestions, each participant is expected to arrange their own travel - this gives everyone the freedom and choice. Anyone interested in travel or outdoor insurance should also arrange this on their own. As mentioned above we always take extreme precautions, but some people may still feel safer if covered. As most of our trips are confirmed or postponed very close to the event date - heavily depending on the weather forecasts - we advise not to buy this until the last minute. People getting train tickets from the same station are encouraged to meet early on the day to benefit from discounts such as GroupSave.
Any questions, feel free to ask below or send a private message!