Originally called "30s women looking for non-mommy friends", I started this group in July 2016 to meet other childfree women to socialize with. The name of the group was changed to "No kidding childfree ladies" in July of 2019 because I am turning 40 this year (!) and so I would like this group to grow with me and to reflect a more diverse age range and interests within the childfree community in Metro Vancouver. This group is for childfree women of ALL AGES.
We are a diverse group of fabulous women from different areas of Metro Vancouver with diverse interests. At the heart of this group is a desire to build community amongst childfree women like us. Our mom friends have mommy groups for support, socialization and community. We can and should do the same!
We do a wide variety of activities such as nature walks, brunches, trivia nights, festivals, dinners, movies, live music, lounges/cocktails and dancing, etc. We are always open to new event ideas and are always looking for event organizers. Most of our events are in Vancouver, but if you live in the 'burbs and would like to host events in your neighborhood, please let us know! We are more than happy to branch out! =)
This group is primarily for CHILDFREE women (women who have chosen NOT to have kids). This group might be for you if you are childless due to timing (women who may or may not want children but the "timing" is not right: career, single, haven't met the right partner, finances, etc.). This group is probably not for you if you are childless due to biological or medical difficulties (i.e. infertility, illness, etc).
Language matters and it is important for new members to understand the difference and join our group with a clear and informed understanding about what "childfree" means.
Formerly, this group was free to join. But Meet Up increased the annual fee I pay every year to run this group; therefore, a very affordable $1.00 member due is required to join and due annually to help maintain our group. The fee must be paid through PayPal (link is below) before I will approve your member request. $1.00 is very affordable!
I have seen other groups that charge $5 or $10 to join. If you are paying that much to join a group, you are paying WAY too much!
Our rules might sound strict, but after running this group for 3 years, I have learned a few things about flaky and inconsiderate behavior and how it can ruin the vibe and flow of a group. We do not want to be that kind of group!
I only want women in this group who are actively wanting to connect with others. I keep the number of this group to less than 200 on purpose to encourage more familiar faces to attend, thus helping us form stronger connections. If after two weeks of submitting your member request and you still have not paid your member due, I will assume you are a Meet Up bot and your request will be rejected. Multiple requests to join and not paying your member due, I will ban you and report you to Meet Up administrators. Lurkers and bots go away!
WHAT WE ARE NOT ...
• "anti-spawn" or anti-children: in fact, many of us love and work with children or have a fulfilling life surrounded by nieces, nephews, godchildren, etc.
• "anti-breeders" or anti-mommies: we just want a dynamic and carefree social life sans kids and kid-related conversations.
• a support group for childless women: if you are childless due to reproductive challenges, you are welcome to join, but please be aware that the majority of members in this group are CHILDFREE BY CHOICE .
• Your request will not be approved until you have paid the member due. I give 2 weeks for you to pay your member due, after this, I remove you from the request list. Sounds strict, but there is a reason for this!
• A clear profile pic of your face is required for safety reasons. No pic, no join.
• Active membership in the group. Once a year, in July, I go through our member list and remove ladies who have not RSVP'd and/or attended any of our events. We believe over time this will help us curate more familiar faces at events to help us build better connections and lasting friendships.
• No business, marketing schemes, religious promotions allowed. There are groups for that. Join those instead.
RSVPs, CANCELLATIONS, NO-SHOWS:
We understand things happen and plans change. To keep things fair to all and avoid disappointing members on the wait list, and to avoid embarrassing situations at the restaurants and places of business where we make reservations, we expect common courtesy and communication from our members:
• you are responsible for keeping track of events you RSVP for and are on a wait list for!
• notify event organizer/hostess ASAP if you will be late and your ETA
• if you RSVP to an event and you change your mind, you must change your RSVP status to 'not going' at least 24 hours ahead of time so your place can be offered to someone on the wait list with sufficient notification. Some of our members have complained about wanting to attend events and not being able to attend due to the wait list, but then having spots open up at the very last minute and not having enough time to plan accordingly.
• 1 no-show pardon: things happen, we get it. First no-show and your profile will have receive a "naughty note" and a warning. More than 1 no-show and you will be removed from the group.
• chronic last-minute cancellations: if you habitually cancel with less than 24 hours notice, your profile will receive a "naughty note" and a warning. If the behavior continues, you will be removed from the group.
• chronic seat holding: if we notice you habitually RSVP for events to hold a spot and then keep cancelling, your profile will receive a "naughty note" and a warning. If the behavior continues, you will be removed from the group.
Yes, we are strict! But there is a reason for that after running this group for 3 years. If you don't like this, there are other groups you can join. =)
ONE LAST THING...
Feel free to suggest event ideas on our discussion board. If you would like to become an event organizer, you must attend one of our events first so we can get to know you!
Many of our members have made lasting sisterhood friendships from this group and we hope you enjoy your experience with our Meetup group!