What we're about
Welcome to PADDLE KC: Kayaking & SUP paddling club! YOU MUST OWN a kayak, SUP or canoe to join this paddling club. Paddle KC is all about having a great time on and off the water, growing connections and friendships, and improving paddling and outdoor-related skills along the way.
We’re a friendly group of people who kayak, standup paddleboard or canoe, and who enjoy an active lifestyle. Members are single and married men and women of all ages, with recreational, touring, whitewater and fishing boats and boards. Whether you have years of experience, or just bought your first kayak, SUP or canoe, we welcome you to join us for great times with fun-loving people.
***Note that inflatable kayaks are not suited to most of our activities.***
If you are looking for hiking and active outdoor and indoor fun beyond paddling, or if you don't already own a kayak or SUP, check out Active Kansas City group (https://www.meetup.com/Active-Kansas-City/). After you purchase a boat or board and are ready to hit the water, join Paddle KC. You'll meet paddling buddies and learn skills and information to make paddling easier, more enjoyable, and safer.
Membership requires participation and inactive members are removed, so RSVP for an event after you join the group. If you do not attend an event within TWO months of joining, you will be removed from the group. If you don't see a paddling activity of interest that works with your schedule, suggest one!
Examples of activities:
• Kayaking, stand up paddleboarding, canoeing. Sometimes planned in advance, sometimes last-minute invitations. Some casual social paddles, some endurance paddles of 20-some miles, and occasional whitewater runs.
• Day, weekend, or longer paddling trips to state parks, national parks, or interesting destinations.
• Occasional social events like happy hours, game nights and visits to local attractions.
• Unique trips and local activities created just for our group of paddling friends. If you are the adventurous sort, you'll love this group! Nothing crazy or unsafe, but very cool activities.
• Annual and recurring events include Kayaking Games Day, Paddlepalooza, Demo Days, Full Moon and Night Paddles, Dog Paddles, Missouri River trips, Ozark River Trips, Ozarks Fall Float, and New Years Day Hike & Potluck.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
We have simple and reasonable guidelines for all PADDLE KC members. These "rules" help ensure a great experience for you and also our volunteers who plan and host activities can just show up and enjoy.
1) Read and follow group and event instructions. It's your responsibility to read and follow event instructions and not waste the host's time and effort, or cause extra hassles or safety issues for those who plan or attend events.
2) Post a photo clearly showing your face and use your real first name (or what you go by in real life) on your PADDLE KC profile enabling other members to easily recognize you. We're a friendly social club for active paddlers, and recognizable photos and real names are important. NO fake names, group shots, covered face, stylized photo filters, vertical cropping where only the top of your head shows, or distant photos that don't clearly show your face. If you don't want to be recognized or object to providing a clear photo showing your face or your real first name, this is not the group for you.
3) Manage your RSVPs to avoid frequent no-shows and frequent last-minute changes to No. Be considerate and respectful to other members, volunteer event hosts, and venues who are impacted by no-shows or last-minute RSVP changes. If you do change your Yes RSVP to No frequently, or no-show (RSVP Yes but don’t show up) frequently, or RSVP for multiple events in different groups at the same time, you WILL be removed from Paddle KC. You are also responsible for your guests' RSVPs, so encourage them to join the group so you aren't impacted by their RSVP changes or no-shows.
4) Participate. This group exists for active paddlers who get together to share paddling experiences. If you don't participate, you aren't our target demographic (ha!). We host events all year, and over 10 events some months during peak paddling season. Members who do not attend a Paddle KC activity within two months of joining will be removed from the group. Members who become inactive may also be removed. Sign up and show up! You'll have a great time!
5) Be considerate and nice to members, hosts and venues. It may sound corny, but we are a friendly, welcoming bunch and treat others well. Negative or disruptive influences will be removed.
6) Do not sell at or promote at members. We are here to socialize and enjoy time on the water with PADDLE KC members. No sales pitches or promoting products, services, events, or other Meetup groups without approval of the group Organizer. If you show up just to plug outside activities or groups, you'll be removed. Just show up and have a good time. If you do have a product or service that you believe will benefit members, contact the Organizer.
These simple, common-sense guidelines are based on many years of experience in coordinating group events, and help ensure a great experience for all of us.
I look forward to seeing you on the water soon. Let's have a good time!