Read our unique meetup description and membership criteria BEFORE applying to join.
We are committed to optimizing brain health through the diet and lifestyle outlined in Dr. Dale Bredesen’s 2020 book “The End of Alzheimer’s Program”. We help each other put the Bredesen Protocol™ into practice and maintain a brain healthy lifestyle. Our meetups provide social connection with like minds, cognitive challenge during the educational portion, circadian rhythm-regulating sunshine, fresh air, accountability for building healthy habits, and often a brief gentle movement break or guided breath-work. We learn from sharing experiences and uplift each other to create and preserve optimal brain health.
Our meetings are for PREVENTION. Members do not yet have significant cognitive decline. Our meetups often include a fast-paced deep dive into aspects of the Bredesen Protocol™ and the scientific underpinnings. They are NOT suited for those diagnosed with cognitive impairment, pre-Alzheimer's, Alzheimer's, or other dementia. If you only suspect subtle cognitive decline, please read further below.
Our group CANNOT provide personalized healthcare advice. For optimal brain health, engage your own ReCODE-certified doctor along with one-on-one support from a health coach for personalized testing, diagnosis, individual recommendations, tailoring the Protocol, oversight, and prescriptions beyond the general educational information presented at our meetups.
Our group only includes members dedicated enough to the Bredesen Protocol™ to review this entire webpage. Ours is a special group. We've had Dr. Bredesen talk directly with us (see photo).
*****Do NOT hit the "REQUEST TO JOIN" button until you have read the membership criteria below. If it appears you have not read or do not meet the criteria 1 - 7, your request to join will likely be declined.*****
(1) You must have ALREADY READ most of Dr. Bredesen’s 2020 book “The End of Alzheimer’s Program” (or his or 2017 book) and be inspired to implement much of the diet and lifestyle. Familiarize yourself with the protocol for REversing COgnitive DEcline [ReCODE™] to both ensure that you embrace the recommendations and to have a basic understanding of what the multi-faceted protocol entails BEFORE joining our discussions. This group is only for people committed to implementing much of the recommended KetoFLEX 12/3™ diet, physical activity, sleep hygiene, stress management, supplements, toxin reduction, and brain training.
(2) You must be able to meet IN PERSON in SAN DIEGO. Do NOT APPLY to join if you cannot attend meetups in San Diego. We do NOT post online discussions. Generally, if you live outside of southern California, then this group is NOT for you.
If you cannot regularly attend our in-person weekday meetups or if you seek the benefits of structured biweekly group meetings with coaching and additional resources, my "Revitalize Your Brain" support group may better meet your needs. Please visit http://nurturebrainhealth.com/home/how-i-can-help/group-program for all the details and/or to add yourself to the online group coaching interest list.
(3) We welcome people at the stage of PREVENTING cognitive decline, possibly due to family history of Alzheimer’s disease [AD], ApoE4+ status, or with possible signs of subjective cognitive impairment (SCI).
(4) Applicants with subjective cognitive impairment (SCI) or very mild cognitive issues should email me to make sure they are a good match for this group. A clinically-validated cognitive test (see below) can begin to identify the extent of the problem. If you suspect that you may already be experiencing memory issues, I urge you to consult a doctor. No one should self-treat an established neurodegenerative condition. There is guesswork involved in using the book alone as guidance.
(5) Attendees with existing mild cognitive impairment (MCI) must BOTH be accompanied by a support person AND be under the care of a Bredesen-trained doctor via Apollo Health's ReCODE™ subscription. A doctor trained in the Bredesen Protocol™ can run comprehensive lab tests and generate a ReCODE Report™ to identify your potential underlying causes of neurodegeneration, then personalize the protocol, supplements, and medical therapies for your unique condition. SCI or MCI is often a prelude to Alzheimer's, requiring medical oversight and intervention beyond the scope of this support group. I (Jen) do not receive any kickbacks from you signing up for ReCODE™ (see https://nurturebrainhealth.com/recode-resources/labs-reports-doctors/ for more info), or with any other Bredesen-trained practitioner. Rather, this requirement gives you the greatest chance to live your best life.
(6) The meetup is NOT appropriate for people already diagnosed with dementia nor for early, moderate or advanced Alzheimer's. I'm very sorry if this is the stage of cognitive decline you're dealing with.
(7) Your contribution of $5-10 per meetup attended helps support our mission. All members need to chip in at least $5 per meetup attended to cover basic operating costs (including the $197 yearly meetup.com subscription) or may volunteer to contribute to the operation. Your financial support keeps our meetups from being polluted by marketing/advertising and potential bias created by corporate sponsorship. Please bring cash in person to the meetings or contribute via MC/Visa/PayPal at https://nurturebrainhealth.com/donations/ .
---------------------THANK YOU for reading and making it this far!------------------------
ADDITIONAL DETAILS and GROUP GUIDELINES:
-We have lively discussions about topics provoked by Dr. Bredesen's books, including favorite snacks/meals/recipes/groceries aligned with a brain healthy diet, balancing blood sugar, gradually fitting in more physical activity, handling sleep issues, exploring stress management, understanding lab tests, improving gut health, reducing toxin exposure, training/challenging your brain, affordable healthy ketogenic meal options at local restaurants, education about supplements, improving mindset, and overcoming challenges to adhering to the holistic program.
-Our Brain Health Optimizers group may also provide an opportunity to meet an accountability partner who could help keep you on track with the diet and lifestyle.
-My group presentations draw from Dr. Bredesen's books, published research, and my broad education in the functional medicine approach to brain health and overall wellness. However, Apollo Health prohibits me from sharing their intellectual property gained from my Qualified ReCODE Report™ practitioner training with individuals who haven't subscribed to their PreCODE™ or ReCODE™ program.
-The information we discuss at our meetups is for EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. Please consult your healthcare provider before undertaking any diet and lifestyle change.
-You must attend in person to receive handouts. Please do not request to receive handouts by email.
-All members are expected to keep personal details shared in discussions CONFIDENTIAL.
-The meeting is a time to be PRESENT and supportive, so please take personal phone calls, texts, and general cell phone distractions away from our meeting. We often incorporate a break for gentle movement or a breathing exercise about halfway through the meeting that can be used for checking your phone instead.
-Apollo Health wants everyone to understand that you're not truly following a personalized Bredesen Protocol™ unless you are guided by your custom ReCODE Report™ (see https://nurturebrainhealth.com/recode-resources/labs-reports-doctors/ for more info) analysis of your unique lab results and personal data. While I encourage all members to sign up for PreCODE/ReCODE™ and care under a Bredesen-trained practitioner, I whole-heartedly understand how this may be beyond the financial reach of many, especially at the stage of prevention.
Participants may receive an inquiry from me as to whether they’ve been evaluated for SCI, MCI, or early AD. If you perceive that you’re having “senior moments”, it’s essential to have a cognitive assessment for cognitive impairment to determine whether further medical evaluation is needed, see https://nurturebrainhealth.com/recode-resources/cognitive-testing/ . Besides the gradual onset of Alzheimer’s disease, memory loss can be due to Lewy Body dementia, Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s disease, excessive alcohol use, brain tumors, adverse effects of prescription drugs, head injury, or other causes. Therefore, it's imperative to consult your doctor about your symptoms. A few of the most inexpensive, least time-consuming, clinically-validated cognitive assessments include the Mini-Cog, Ace-R, MoCA, and CNS-Vital Signs tests. A neuropsychological exam may be the most comprehensive assessment that your doctor can order.
Insurance may cover getting one of these tests through your physician. If not, I am MoCA-certified and administer the MoCA test within a paid consultation. I can also offer you a one-time CNS-VS test with full report to take online at home for $45 ($40 to directly pay CNS-VS + $5 to begin to compensate me for my time to set you up for the test). If you'd like to arrange a single 55-minute private consultation and cognitive assessment with me, please visit https://nurturebrainhealth.com/home/how-i-can-help/one-on-one-recode-coaching/ . It is vital for people experiencing cognitive issues to obtain an initial objective assessment of the level of the problem. Note that cognitive issues due to NON-Alzheimer’s causes may not be helped by the Bredesen Protocol™.
ABOUT YOUR HOST:
I’m Jen Felix, a Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach and ReCODE™ Practitioner--this means I have graduated from the Functional Medicine Coaching Academy and completed Dr. Bredesen's training for healthcare practitioners. I eat the KetoFLEX 12/3™ diet and practice a brain healthy lifestyle daily. I am continually learning from others’ experiences via this meetup as well as from the numerous patients of doctors I have partnered with since January 2018.
You can learn more about me, Dr. Bredesen’s research, a brain healthy diet, how to get a ReCODE Report™, and my health coaching services at my website http://nurturebrainhealth.com .
We help each other practice the healthy lifestyle that broadly avoids the drivers of Alzheimer’s Disease as well as other major chronic diseases in order to live a long, functional, vibrant life. We'll all be more successful building better brain health when we pursue this together.
Thank you for your time reading the above description. If our group seems like a good fit for you, please apply to join. Given time and practice, I look forward to hearing about your gains in blood sugar balance, body weight normalization, cognitive performance, and/or other aspects of well-being.