What we're about
Mission: R-Ladies is a worldwide organization whose mission is to promote gender diversity in the R community
R-Ladies Philly is a group for people in Philadelphia interested in the R programming language to get together and learn about R! As a diversity initiative, the mission of R-Ladies is to achieve proportionate representation by encouraging, inspiring, and empowering people of genders currently underrepresented in the R community. R-Ladies’ primary focus, therefore, is on supporting minority gender R enthusiasts to achieve their programming potential, by building a collaborative global network of R leaders, mentors, learners, and developers to facilitate individual and collective progress worldwide.
How can you get involved? Join our meetup, but then also join our slack workspace at: rladies-philly.slack.com, follow us on twitter @RLadiesPhilly, and check out our website at rladiesphilly.org.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to learn more about supporting our group.
Upcoming events (3)
Join us in June for an evening of short and insightful talks related to using R. Topics will highlight the breadth of use cases our members solve using R and the packages they love. Stay tuned as we update the list of topics and speakers!
We will update the zoom link before the event.
6:00 - 6:10 - Join online
6:10 - 6:15 - Welcome and announcements
6:15 - 7:30 - Talks
Speakers and Talk Titles:
We are seeking volunteers to present!
Link to submit a talk: https://forms.gle/UUZpkrgKQ92Jvnhw8
- Jessie P.
- Isabel Fernandez E.
- 34 attendees
Please join us July 13th for a virtual seminar on '3 Reasons to use Tidymodels' by Julia Silge!
Modeling and machine learning in R involves a bewildering array of heterogeneous packages, and establishing good statistical practice is challenging in any language. The tidymodels collection of packages offers a consistent, flexible framework for your modeling and machine learning work to address these problems. In this talk, we’ll focus on three specific reasons to consider using tidymodels. We will start with model characteristics themselves, move to the wise management of your data budget, and finish with feature engineering.
All members who RSVP and attend the event will be entered into a raffle and 3 winners will be chosen to receive a free eBook or hard copy of Tidy Modeling with R by Julia Silge and Max Kuuhn (2022)
Zoom link TBA.
- Jessie P.
- Mike J.
- Justine L.
- 44 attendees
Join R-Ladies Philly for an in-person interactive workshop on version control with git & GitHub with amazing presenters, Shannon Pileggi and E. David Aja!
In order to actively participate in this event, you will need to complete some pre-work to ensure you have a GitHub account as well as the necessary credentials in place to explore this workflow.
If you are unable to complete the pre-work, you may still attend the event as an observer rather than as an active participant.
- Please be ready with current versions of both R and RStudio. This means R>= 4.2.0 and RStudio >=[masked] Build 386, unless you have a good reason otherwise. See the discussion in Install or upgrade R and RStudio: https://happygitwithr.com/install-r-rstudio.html#install-r-rstudio
- Complete the pre-workshop Git/GitHub set up instructions: https://happygitwithr.com/workshops.html#pre-workshop-set-up
- Employ version control via git and GitHub with operations including commit, push and pull.
- Fork and clone from remote repositories.
- Describe the importance of viewing commits and diffs.
- Compile markdown reports from an R script for sharing code products on GitHub.
- Create a project web site via GitHub Pages.
- Compare and execute different methods to re-visit previous versions of projects.
- Utilize branches as safety nets for code experimentation.
- Explain situations that can create merge conflicts and strategies to resolve them.
5:30 pm - arrive, get settled, and grab some food!
5:45 - 7:15 - session 1
-- break --
7:30 - 8:30 - session 2
- Russ L.
- Sara M.
- Jerome B.
- 19 attendees
Past events (84)
- Jessie P.
- 93 attendees