What we're about
Sex Positive Nashville (SPN) is a Meet Up for adults who are interested in the subject of sex. SPN is intended to be resourceful and educational as well as an opportunity to network with others who have a professional or personal desire to be better informed and more experienced in the realm of sexuality. Meet Ups will explore various topics related to sexuality. SPN is not a dating or sex pick up group. SPN is not a therapy or treatment program. While sexual dysfunction and disorders may be discussed, SPN is not intended for treating addiction, trauma, sexual disorders, or other types of mental illness.
What is Sex Positivity? Sex positivity is a philosophy which regards all consensual expressions of sexuality as healthy, encourages sexual pleasure, places an emphasis on informed consent, and advocates sex education and risk-awareness. Sex-positivity makes no moral distinctions among types of sexual expression, orientation or identification, regarding these choices as matters of personal preference. Sex positivity is affirming of the various ways sex can be pleasurable, intimate, nurturing, and adventurous between consenting individuals.
Who is welcome? Any adult, (21 and over) who shares our philosophy and has a desire to teach or learn about the complexities of human sexuality is welcome to attend. You must be a member of this meet up group to participate. Members will be expected to provide contact information in order to insure safety and credibility at SPN Meet Ups .
Our Mission is: To create and maintain a safer environment for members to learn about sex positivity and explore their own relationship to it.
Our Vision is: A thriving and supportive community of mature, sex positive adults who influence the society they are in.
We value healthy sexuality that is created through autonomy, boundary setting, enthusiastic consent, and pleasure. We are creating a community based on direct communication, social justice, connection, fun, and support. We value accessible education focused on experiences and growth, and replacing unhelpful patterns of behavior through a diversity of new ideas.
What we are not:
• We are not a hook-up group, a dating site or a place for swingers to play. Those all have a place within sex positivity, but that is not what we are. If that is what you are looking for, please look elsewhere.
• Trolling is not allowed. Do not contact any member unless you have already received clear unambiguous approval from them to do so, preferably in person.
Before you apply to join, read this:
We are a secret group. That means only members can see your profile.
PLEASE FILL OUT ALL QUESTIONS FULLY AND COMPLETELY. Short answers mean that you have not read this and will be immediately denied.
The main things we seek in our members are:
• Understanding of sex-positivity. We are not a dating or sex group. We are a community.
• Related experience or learning (books, workshops, friendship circles).
• Enthusiasm and willingness to be a part of a community by volunteering or coming out to events regularly.
• We look for emotional maturity, social awareness, good communication styles and a willingness to grow.
• You must live within 60 miles of Nashville or visit often.
• Diversity and equity are very important to our community. Knowing who is in our group gives us a better idea of how we are doing and how we can improve. Please share some of your identities with us (gender, race, sexual orientation, etc.) to create a vibrant community.
• If you have a common name, please add an initial or last name. We prefer real names, not alias.
• You must be over 21
• Couples must apply separately. Please reference each other.
• We prefer you have a recognizable photo of your face without anyone else in it. If you feel it is necessary, you may use an avatar instead.
When you fill out your profile, know that that is what other members will see. Please be as open and frank as possible.
Sex Positive Nashville events are coded Levels: 1 through 4
Level 1 events are open to all members and non-members alike, whereas level 2 requires attending an orientation or approval by the host or organizer. To attend level 3 or 4 events, you must have attended several events at the previous level AND be approved by the leadership team (we have to know that you are great with boundaries - yours and others - and can take care of yourself and others).
The posted level indicates the maximum level of activity which may take place at an event. But, know that you are NEVER expected to do anything that is not a, “Hell Yes!” no matter what level event you attend, no matter what anyone else is doing, and no matter what you may have done previously with that person or with another person. No is no, and all activity must be fully consensual.
During the posted hours for an event, members must agree to not engage in any activity that exceeds the stated level of the event: it's up to the host to ensure this. Leadership has the responsibility & final decision on whether a member can attend an event, and may refuse inclusion in activities they decide the member is not ready or qualified for or because the type of event requires existing relationships within the community.
Remember, YOU NEVER have to go to level 2-4 events. Many members enjoy and learn SO MUCH at level 1 events for years! It is strongly recommended that you attend several level 1 events before going to an orientation, and the Awesome Boundaries class is mandatory.
Additionally, it is possible that the leadership team may ask you to hold off on attending L2 events if they feel you aren't quite ready. It is also possible for your L2+ status to be revoked if there are any complaints or we notice you struggling with boundaries or consent. Please respect the leadership team's wisdom and discretion with this. It is a difficult job, but someone has to do it to ensure we have a safe, fun and functioning community!
Here's an overview of the level system:
Level 1 is Social/Educational (workshops, classes, outings, discussion groups)
Level 2 is Sensual (snuggle parties, group massage, sensation play: touch that is nurturing and affectionate)
Level 3 is Sexy without an agenda. Learning how to integrate and create connection.
Level 4 is Community.
We have a way of vetting people and helping them work up the level system. But many people are happy staying at Level 1 or 2 or 3.
People tell us our level system is the thing they like the most about our group.